Trusted Contributor

Re: homeowners insurance question

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Don't know the answer but everyone should have a big liability policy for just such an incident.  We have one in addition to our home owners policy.

We do too.

So can you add 1million dollar liability policy per occurance  for coverage?

This lady is already at $300,000 in claims and will need another surgery.

Yes, it’s called an “umbrella” policy. It is liability coverage beyond the limits of your homeowners (or automobile) insurance  limits. If you have deep pockets, meaning high income and/or valuable assets that could be forfeited if a suit prevails for damages above your home or auto  policy limit, you are vulnerable to personal out of pocket loss. Umbrella policies protect you against successful claims above your regular policy limits.

These are usually reasonably priced premiums for such policies but often the insurance company expects you to have both homeowners and automobile coverage at high levels and both policies with the one company offering the umbrella coverage. There are some minimums and requirements expected by the insurance carrier before they offer the umbrella, but it’s not all that hard to meet. 

Honored Contributor

A lady we play cards with (not my house) but another ladies house.  It was raining, our foyers have tile when she came in the door -- she slipped, fell & broke her arm/wrist.  

She went to hospital (Fl) and they told her -- homeowner needed to provide their homeowners insurance info.  The primary coverage is the homeowners once the amount runs out then injured persons' private insurance will kick-in.

This lady is friendly with the woman who owns the home.  She is suing the homeowners policy not her friend.  She has had 5 surgeries already & it's still not right.  If it was me, I'd definitely be doing the same.  This is why we have homeowners same principle as carrying car insurance.

I heard her medical bills, rx, x-rays,etc. is rising & insurance is paying 100% thank goodness.

Esteemed Contributor

Had a thought... with these kinds of rules what is stopping someone from coming to your front door and pretend to trip there and get coverage from you.  They were uninvited and they could have had a prior injury and just want someone to pay.  I GUESS I WATCH TOO MUCH TV SUCH AS AMERICAN GREED.  

I do know that when our tree fell in a storm on my neighbors property my insurance company told me that THEY HAD TO CALL AND HAVE THEIR INSURANCE POLICY COVER IT.  My  property is my responsibility and theirs was their responsibility. 

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu

@bonnielu wrote:

Had a thought... with these kinds of rules what is stopping someone from coming to your front door and pretend to trip there and get coverage from you.  They were uninvited and they could have had a prior injury and just want someone to pay.  I GUESS I WATCH TOO MUCH TV SUCH AS AMERICAN GREED.  

I do know that when our tree fell in a storm on my neighbors property my insurance company told me that THEY HAD TO CALL AND HAVE THEIR INSURANCE POLICY COVER IT.  My  property is my responsibility and theirs was their responsibility. 

My neighbor had his tree branches all on my roof.  I asked him many times to please trim his tree.  Finally I was told that if I wrote a letter to him asking to trim, sending it registered mail and a copy to his insurance and my insurance companies.  This would make his insurance company liable for payment.  

I was lucky he realized that he should do the right thing.  Instead of just cutting the branches on my roof, he cut the whole free down.  Saved me all the cleanup of leaves falling in my yard and he was tired of it also.

Respected Contributor

We’ve had an embrella policy for decades to cover such things. 

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Someone who is going to commit fraud, will do it against  someone with deep pockets, like a store or any business.   Because criminals don't respect the law, they don't know how it all works, they just think about the money

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

@bonnielu

@bonnielu wrote:

My neighbor had his tree branches all on my roof.  I asked him many times to please trim his tree.  Finally I was told that if I wrote a letter to him asking to trim, sending it registered mail and a copy to his insurance and my insurance companies.  This would make his insurance company liable for payment.  

I was lucky he realized that he should do the right thing.  Instead of just cutting the branches on my roof, he cut the whole free down.  Saved me all the cleanup of leaves falling in my yard and he was tired of it also.

Had a similar experience except a windstorm landed the neighbors tree on  my roof.

My homeowners insurance went after their insurance, I did very little.   I had pictures and submitted my "evidence".    Their insurance company harassed me.   Telling me I had to prove it was the neighbors tree.   I wouldn't even let them on my property.   They can deal with my insurance company, I would not be intimidated.

Bottom line, I got a new roof

The owner of the dead tree is an attorney.

Honored Contributor

I would not volunteer for the get-togethers at my home.

Honored Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

I would not volunteer for the get-togethers at my home.

Isn't it terrible that it's come to that?!

Honored Contributor

This is why you have insurance....her fault or not YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE if anyone gets hurt on your property.  That is what you never hire anyone to do work on your property that is nor bonded, licensed and insured. 

If friends or or family get hurt, then  yes, your insurance would pick it no matter if she tripped on her on feet, or whatever.  

Always good to have an umbrella policy ON TOP OF your regular home owners insurance to cover huge payouts that might wipe you out financially if you got sued.  That covers car accidents as well as home owners.