Respected Contributor

generic epipen to be launched by mylan

http://www.wsj.com/articles/mylan-to-launch-cheaper-generic-epipen-alternative-1472467730

the heat got to them -  we'll see what this announcement brings. the real answer is competition however.

Respected Contributor

Re: generic epipen to be launched by mylan

You are so right about needing competition. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since Senator Joe Manchin is the CEO's father, he might have suggested a different approach.

Honored Contributor

Maybe her father, Sen. Joe Manchin, appealed to her better nature.

Trusted Contributor

@ValuSkr  Please, tell me it was sarcasm that you were using????  Better nature????  I think it was. She has no better nature, and it is to our peril that we do not realize the danger that some pose to others.  The only emotion that I will give you that  may have played into this, is that the voters will be completely disgusted and take it out on him.  So, lets see.....Fear????

I don't know.  However, if I can recall correctly, other drug manufacturers have come onto the market to compete with the epi pen and have not been successful.  The FDA has squashed them all.  Hmmm...does this very powerful man have any pull with the FDA?  Well, surprise surprise, yes he does.

That was sarcasm.

Respected Contributor

The same company making the original is making a generic?  Then why would anyone want to buy the original?  Am I missing something?

I think there are a lot of EpiPen type of drugs out there where the cost has skyrocketed but no one has really paid attention.  EpiPen is changing only because it got caught. 

Esteemed Contributor

Competition is on the horizon.... TEVA.  And they have been stalled by the FDA.  Wondering if that is political.  

Honored Contributor

@Deanie  I don't know either Sen. Manchin or his daughter.   But I think he's well-regarded and doubt he raised her to be selfish and greedy.  Hence, my wondering if he appealed to her better nature -- small though it may be (like the Grinch's heart!).

Honored Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

The same company making the original is making a generic?  Then why would anyone want to buy the original?  Am I missing something?

I think there are a lot of EpiPen type of drugs out there where the cost has skyrocketed but no one has really paid attention.  EpiPen is changing only because it got caught. 

I saw quite a few posts on Facebook over the weekend that there already is a generic available, apparently it's all in the way the doctor writes the prescription but given what the original company did I don't know if I would even use their generic if the other was available at the pharmacy.

Honored Contributor

There already IS a competitor on the market ... Adrenaclick.  Unfortunately, the word "EpiPen" has been used as a common reference term ... such as hand me a kleenex ... or I need a band aid ..... or make a couple xerox copies of this ...  you get the idea.

If a physician writes the prescription for an "adrenaline pen" the pharmacist can give you a generic.   Or just have them write it for Adrenaclick.

Image result for Adrenaclick pen photo