Honored Contributor

do you get many trick or treaters?

We used to get heaps but then  times changed and parents were afraid to let their kids get candy from strangers. We were one of the last holdouts on our street, to leave our porch light on ,and have  nice candy treats for the beggars. So we threw in the towel and stopped it too. There is a school not far from me and they always have a huge party for the kids

I know lots of people might not want to open the door all night  for safety reasons but I kind of miss it. I always liked seeing the kiddies

Honored Contributor

Re: do you get many trick or treaters?

I normally buy 144 candy bars plus animal crackers for the little ones and I had to shut it down last year.  It was kind of winding down anyway and I had some doubles because I give out the regular large bars but still 150 plus kids!!  

Honored Contributor

None

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I get Zero and have for many years but I love buying candy this time of year without anyone looking at me funny.  I know they are really not  but I feel less guilty buying a couple of bags instead of just one candy bar around this time each year.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Some years yes and some years no. We live in a subdivision with lots of kids, but some years the weather here is cold and rainy on Halloween, when it is we tend to get less trick or treaters and they are usually older kids......I love when the weather is nice and we can see the little ones all dressed up-so cute!!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

No treaters in recent years.

Honored Contributor

I haven't participated in many years, but I don't think there are that many, at least on my little street.  I'm sure there are a lot of kidlets out and about but just not on this street.

Honored Contributor

To answer the thread question, no, not in September.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I live in a small townhouse community.  We get quite a few kids both from our neighborhood and the surrounding neighborhoods.  Since the development is somewhat small, it's an easy, safe area for kids to visit.  And these days, most times they are accompanied by a parent or two.  Sad that it's the way of the world these days.  Going back to my childhood, we traveled "hither and yon" (within walking distance) to trick or treat.  And we usually were asked inside the home to sing, or whatever.  I can still recall singing "Goodnight, Irene" for several years!!!!  (Boy, am I ever dating myself!!!!!!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes we do.