Honored Contributor

Re: did your kids ever surprise you with a haircut?

@nana59 wrote:

My 6  year-old grandson just gave his 4 year-old sister a haircut--mom and dad weren't too happy, but being the nana, i thought it was hysterical!!  Just glad her hair was all that got cut!!

My mother surprised me by getting my kid a haircut without my consent when she was little. That didn't go over well at all. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

When I was about 4, I had long, blond, thick hair half way down my back. My mother loved my hair, and kept it so clean and neat. One day my grandmother took me for the afternoon, and when she brought me home, I had a pixie.

My mother was devastated, and still to this day (over 50 years later) she hasn't forgiven her for that!

I really don't know what made my grandmother do that, because she never interfered with my mom's 'mothering' or rules. My grandparents never stepped over that line that some will do. 

Honored Contributor

When we were 6 & 7, my older sister gave me a haircut.  She actually convinced our mother I dared her to do it.

Respected Contributor

When my oldest son was in his late teens he came home with a perm---tite very curly. Did not look good. He was sorry but had to live with it until it grew out. No pictures of him. They disappeared?

Honored Contributor

Actually.....yes.  Daughter #2 went through a bit of rebellious phase in h.s.  My girls went to a very strict parochial school, there was a strict dress code that specified "no extreme hairstyles".  My girl was going through an artistic, free spirit phase.  She wanted a tatoo and hubby and I forbid any tatoos anywhere as long as she lived under our roof.  So....one day....she came home with a pale blue buzz cut.   You can imagine our reaction to that!  She wanted to transfer to public school and I think that she thought with that "extreme" hairstyle,  she'd be kicked out of her  school and would have to enroll in public school.   That did not happen!  She had two choices.  Wear a wig until her hair grew out and could be appropriately styled or take the semester off and re-enroll the next september.  Of course, that meant she would be a year behind and would not graduate with her class.  So, she chose to wear the wig and take the snickering and teashing that went with it.  It was an all girls school, so you can imagine how that went. Lucky for her, her hair grows incredibly fast like mine and by spring time her hair had grown enough that  it could be styled and colored and she had a cute little hairstyle by the time senior activities rolled around in the spring.  

Respected Contributor

My son did twice.  In high school he had a long pony tail.  For some reason he decided to shave his head.  That was before shaving men's heads was popular.  He caught so much flack that he let it grow out again into another thick long pony tail.  He was in his mid 20's.  One day he decided that he wanted to be taken seriously and get a good job, so he needed a haircut.  He went to the barber without telling me and got a real hair cut.  Short and trimmed.  He walked into the house and I didn't recognize him at first and thought some stranger had come into my house.  Scared me silly and he got such a kick out of it.  He really did look good though. 

Honored Contributor

The only that our sons did was grow facial hair and lots of it.

But I did cut my bangs in 6th grade, day before pictures. They were 1/2 inch long and stuck straight out. My Sweet Mother was not happy.

Of course, years later we laughed about itHeart

Trusted Contributor

One of my friends, when she was young, her sisters played "beauty shop" with her and cut off all her long blonde hair. Her mother took all three girls to the real beauty shop to fix my friend's hair, then get the other two girls pixie cuts! They were pretty remorseful after that!

Honored Contributor

I'm sure it wasn't funny after the fact but this thread is hilarious.

Esteemed Contributor

My daughter inherited my hubbys hair....nice waves and not curly. Her hair was always long and gorgeous. She could use the curling iron in the morning and it stayed beautiful all day. Even tied back or up in hot weather, it looked niced. One day she came home with it cut above her ears....looked awful. I asked her what she was thinking and she said she wanted to try a different hairstyle.

She hated it after about a week and grew it out to shoulder length and keeps it about that length since...