Honored Contributor

Re: diabetic drugs to soar in price

@Mj12     @momtochloe

SO WHAT  if a patient talks to a doctor about a drug they saw advertised on TV or in a magazine?   Who is that hurting?

I think we ALL need to be our own health advocates.

Example ..... If someone is diagnosed with a chronic illness, shouldn't they learn as much as possible about this illness, the medication options, and what they can do to manage this illness?    What is wrong with that?  

Taking a passive approach and letting a doctor prescribe a medication (without discussing the options) is NOT taking care of yourself.  I know I'm repeating myself .... but we should all be informed consumers.   When new drugs come to market, it's good to learn about the pros and cons ... and the cost.   It's all part of the process of finding what's right for you.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now,  LOL.

Honored Contributor

@Anita Hug wrote:

I take my formulary in when I see the doctor.  It shows which drugs are covered under my plan, and also shows which coverage tier they fall under - which detemines how much my copay will be for the drugs.  If my doctor wants to change my medicine (for any condition), I show her my formulary, and tell her that I need one that is covered under Tier 1 or 2. Anything above that, and I will not be able to afford it.  They don't always like it, but I remind them that if I can't afford it, then I can't be compliant. 

More than once, I've had a doctor prescribe something and they have absolutely NO idea how much that medication costs. Or that HOW they prescribe it can make a difference between whether or not it is covered.  I once went to pick up a prescription that my doctor wanted me to gradually increase over the course of several weeks. So it was written for those instructions, different doses for _ number of days, etc.  Because it was written that way, my cost (even with insurance) would have been over $800 for one month!  Turns out that the tablets for that particular  med could be split. The pharmacist got a new order from my doctor, which brought my share down to $45.

Big difference!   

@Anita Hug

Thank you!!!      You're an excellent example of an INFORMED CONSUMER .... something we should all be.    JMO

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Mj12     @momtochloe

SO WHAT  if a patient talks to a doctor about a drug they saw advertised on TV or in a magazine?   Who is that hurting?

I think we ALL need to be our own health advocates.

Example ..... If someone is diagnosed with a chronic illness, shouldn't they learn as much as possible about this illness, the medication options, and what they can do to manage this illness?    What is wrong with that?  

Taking a passive approach and letting a doctor prescribe a medication (without discussing the options) is NOT taking care of yourself.  I know I'm repeating myself .... but we should all be informed consumers.   When new drugs come to market, it's good to learn about the pros and cons ... and the cost.   It's all part of the process of finding what's right for you.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now,  LOL.

@Tinkrbl44 There is a difference between being an informed consumer, and with people who watch tv, write all the new meds they see commercials for, and then ask their doctor to prescribe.  Huge difference.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I understand what both @Mj12 and @Tinkrbl44 are saying and IMO both have a point.

It's always best to be proactive and well-informed - about healthcare or anything else. There is nothing inherently wrong with asking your doctor about new drugs you've seen advertised and whether they'd be right for you.

However, since the large influx of media ads for new drugs, many who, honestly, haven't a clue, are insisting (yes, really) that their doctors prescribe the newest and best - and yes, I feel that has contributed to Big Pharma being able to charge what they do. 

Many doctors just aim to please their patients by doing whatever the patient asks, whether it's appropriate, or best for the patient, or cost-effective. That kind of medicine, all too prevalent today, does have an effect on costs.

Not saying that patients shouldn't ask, or be well-informed or get (true, rather than just perceived) best medicine, but that all the ads are like Pandora opening the box - can't close it again, and there are big downsides as well as upsides.

We in the Wellness forum are pretty well-informed; many others are clueless and therein lies the potential for increased costs. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

You can check to see if your Dr gets payment or compensation from the drug companies

This was posted by Clark Howard's website 

https://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/

@Mary Bailey wow my internist is on the list, $1200 worth. So can someone explain exactly what this means?

He is always so generous with samples and you leave with a little shopping bag that has saved me many hundreds of dollars.

What did he do wrong?

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Valued Contributor

I have said on other forums, that I now get my insulin in British Columbia, CA. I use the humalog qwik pen and seem to be needing more as years go by. I am not obese and exercise but my pancreas is not working well. I am lucky enough to have relatives in B.C. so when they come down they bring me some. It is same manufacteror, same brand same # as on my boxes from here. After my 200 or 300 deductible a box of five pens cost $140 but it causes me to reach the dreaded gap. Oh that makes one refill $440. When I reach the gap it will cost me around $550 for 2 boxes. I hope and pray they do not quit selling it over the counter in Ca. I went to a Walmart store where they set aside 4 boxes. I live only about 100 mi from the border if family can't bring it down. It was $59 dollars a box of 5 pens and with american $ I did not pay that. Here with no ins. it is $1200 for a box of 5 pens. WT_.!. That 1200 goes towad gap. Some people from my water class go to Mexico and get the more expensive insulin for the same price as mine. They go twice a year and make a vacation out of it. I cannot afford to do that. They have had no problems with their insulin. The nurse at the hospital told me they call insulin liquid gold. There are cheaper versions but I react to so many meds. my doc is keeping me on this one. If i need a prescription for Ca. he will write one but in BC they do not take American prescriptions. Thankfully it is still OVC.

Honored Contributor

When family from England is over, they can not get over the fact that there are constant ads on TV promoting drugs for this and that. Why the shock? Because it's not allowed there. I don't notice them but they do and there is an average of 2 per commercial break. Also, one (a nurse) wanted to know WHY the push for ED (erectile dysfunction) drugs was ALWAYS on? I started keeping track and yep, it's the drug I see the most of followed by allergies and sleep issues. 

I read that drug companies found their profits soared when it was finally allowed in the US because patients would ask for the meds by name from the docs. 

IN the US, money is KING so you better believe Big Pharmo finds a way to get the name of a drug they want to push into our heads. Between the radio, magazines and TV.... they are EVERYWHERE.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

When family from England is over, they can not get over the fact that there are constant ads on TV promoting drugs for this and that. Why the shock? Because it's not allowed there. I don't notice them but they do and there is an average of 2 per commercial break. Also, one (a nurse) wanted to know WHY the push for ED (erectile dysfunction) drugs was ALWAYS on? I started keeping track and yep, it's the drug I see the most of followed by allergies and sleep issues. 

I read that drug companies found their profits soared when it was finally allowed in the US because patients would ask for the meds by name from the docs. 

IN the US, money is KING so you better believe Big Pharmo finds a way to get the name of a drug they want to push into our heads. Between the radio, magazines and TV.... they are EVERYWHERE.

@SahmIam amen my friend, amen . . . 

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I would imagine the drugs used for type 2 diabetes will go up, it seems there are commercials on tv constantly.

Yes there are many commercials.... all promoting the NEW and improved diabetes drugs.  Research these carefully because there are studies out there showing that the drug companies making them are not as honest with the public as they should be concerning animal testing and the results.  (Re: Incretin Drugs, 2013 Study from UCLA's Medical School).  And the doctors are recommending them (risk = results seem to be worth it to them.  It isn't to ME!)  These incretin drugs apparently have a built in problem with pancreatic cancer.  Not to all of course, but high enough probability to make reconsidering a priority.  BTW, I tried the Janumet for about four days and my blood sugar did not go below 180!!  My blood sugars are very well controlled with my old combo so I went back to my old meds.

AND the cost was (at the time) $120 for 3 months.  Janumet (combo of Januvia and Metformin) was recommended to me NOT because my Metformin and Glipizide weren't working, they were/are, very well and have been for 9 years. I decided to try it (realize that 3 months of Metformin AND Glipiside on my insurance plan is about $5.80 combined for three months) only because my doctor recommended it.  Then I started really digging for legimate information and became alarmed!

I fully expect my two old, very effective drugs to be targeted for a huge increase.  I certainly hope not but I'm on the lookout for it.  Meanwhile, more and more patients are being lead to these new, very expensive (and I'm sure will go up) and potentially dangerous drugs because (I feel) they are the "diabetes drug for the moment".

Beware.... and always, always research!  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Can these Epi-pens and other diabetic supplies by procured from Canadian pharmacies?  I think I'd look into it if I was affected.

YES!  Check into it.... !  Make sure  you pick a pharmacy that has a high rating and I believe the ratings are found in the same search.  I have not purchased from Canada but my doctor recommended it to my DH.

He has Psorisis (as in "the heartbreak of..." which aside from all the jokes is a serious autoimmune disease that requires a lot of maintenance.  One of his creams we buy once a year costs (sit down) $1200... our cost because neither Medicare nor our supplemental insurance covers it.   They don't consider this cream necessary because there are others on the market (not near as good!).....  He first had Kaiser years ago and it was part of his program (cost us about $20 back then).  Now we're on Medicare and Blue Cross/Blue Shield.  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*