Super Contributor

Re: charities to remember this time of the year

O/T but @cherry I enjoy your threads.

Glad you're here. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

I see this time of year as seasonal so we go with the groups that serve hot meals. 

I've written recently about Glide Memorial Church which serves three hot meals a day to anyone who is hungry.

I love your posts, @Noel7, because they always remind me of home.

Esteemed Contributor

Our favorite charities to give to is our local food bank & Disabled American Veterans!! We donate generously all year with a particular emphasis on the Holidays!! It truly is better to give than to receive!!

Trusted Contributor

Please go to charitynavigator.org for info on charities and what percentages go to admin costs, salaries, etc.  We sponsor a child in Mexico through Compassion International and have been doing this for about 30 years (not the same child). 

Esteemed Contributor

Except for donating wreaths to our veterans' cemetary, all of my donations go to animal rescues, especially our local humane associations.  Our Darcy came from Delaware Humane, so I always give to them.  However, we have several animal rescues (one is for seniors only) in our area and I make sure that they have a donation from us and not just during the holidays.  These donations are my Christmas gift to myself.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I support the same charities year-round. I don't have a favorite, but I will mention one that I don't think gets enough attention, the Equal Justice Initiative, founded by Bryan Stevenson. They have a perfect score of 100 on Charity Navigator and work to free wrongfully convicted people from death row or life in prison.

Valued Contributor

I've been a doner to Planned Parenthood for 40+ years, besides being a volunteer.  My Christmas donation will allow a mom to spend her money on gifts for her family, instead of her monthly birth control.  Our PP provides free December BC for many women who must normally pay something.

I also give to our Humane Society for cat needs, and bring cat food and little blanket mats I make from fleece I find on sale during the year.

Valued Contributor

Lottie Moon Christmas offering.  We Baptists give to this during the Christmas season to support our missionaries both here and overseas. 

Trusted Contributor

We give to a local no-kill animal shelter. I will use coupons to buy dried cat food and canned cat food, cat litters, etc. I always take in blankets and towels, toys for the furkids. Whatever I can put together. And then add a check. I don't do this just at Christmas, though, but try to help several times a year.

I prefer donating for animals. When I retire, I'd like to volunteer time there as well. Too many animals just need a lap. We already have five cats and a beagle, so we can't take in any more right now. But I could volunteer my lap.

Honored Contributor

I send a monthly check all year long to our local Salvation Army and to our Food Bank since children are hungry at other times besides Christmas.   During the holidays I take several grocery bags for our neighborhood food drive that is done for the local food bank as an extra gift.

I love that people give during the holidays but I wish they would also give any day, any month, all year long.  

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."