Honored Contributor

charities to remember this time of the year

People get so caught up in gift giving they may forget that charities need help too

Solanus Casey Soup Kitchen ,is one of our favorites to help. It's an inner city soup kitchen, miles and miles away from us. We chose it because it is in an impoverished area

It's run by the Francisicans, who serve the poorest, of the poor. They have a daily meal that people can depend on. They also house, and rehabilitate those, who have turned to alcohol and drugs. They have organized a bakery where people can learn a useful skill, and earn money too. The center sells the good they make

We also remember  the animals because they need it so badly.The humane society is alway gratefull for anything you can spare

These are just a couple of worthy charities. There are many

What is your favorite one?

Honored Contributor

Re: charities to remember this time of the year

Don't forget our troops,

http://2011susansdailydose.yolasite.com/12-6.php

Honored Contributor

Gosh what happened to the other posts? I don't think they broke any rules, they just named a charity or two?

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer to donate to organizations that help animals. It's Christmas for them, too!😺

Esteemed Contributor

We give to the food bank and the Salvation Army at Christmas, and we also buy gifts each year for children at CHOP hospital in Philly (through my husbands job)

Year round we give to many other charities for people and animals.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

I have a part time job and it's my "fun" money since DH is still working and I give a certain percentage every month to a charity.  I never forget our troops and I also give to children's charities and our local charities that help those in need that live right in our community.   When I quit my part time job I plan to volunteer and give my time to local charities.  I feel very blessed & I do like to share and give back as much as I can.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I give at different times of the year. 

At Christmas I do send a donation to Siamese Rescue, who swooped down on two kill shelters and extracted my sweet cats of 14+ years, Percy and Claire.  I don't know what I would do without them, or vice-versa.

ETA:  Claire is my profile picture.  P. won't sit still for pictures.

Honored Contributor

My way of supporting both our returning veterans and the animals that are trained to assist them is donating to Warrior Canine Connection in Maryland.  I also purchase goods for two families through my community's 'Giving Tree'.  I donate pet food and supplies to the local Humane Society. I support the vets and animals year 'round.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

we give to local charities in particular during november and december. i always fill a few bags and leave them at the grocery store where they are collecting food items.

we also like the HELPING UP MISSION and HOUSE OF RUTH.

just gave away 5 large garbage bags filled with clothing to BIG BROTHERS BIG SISTERS.

at my daughters work they have adopted a family for christmas so there were many items to choose from for that family. we will get a grocery store gift card and a few toys for the kids.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

2 charities to consider:

* Mary's Meals-goes into the poorest and most isolated of regions to locally assist farmer and familieis/orphanages making sure that children of all faith's receive 1-2 nutritious meals a day while going to school. $20.00= 1 year of school and food for 1 child. It is adminstered out of s shed in Glagow Scotland. A very high % of donations go directly to school; it is a global effort. Last Spring my school raised enough money to send 250 children to school/feed for 1 year.

Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab, Utah, home of Nat Geo's doc film Smiley Very Happyogtown. Strictly no kill and largely volunteer. They have made Los Angeles a no kill zone. They took in the Michael Vick's survivors for life and have cared for them lovingly, rather than have these canine victims be euthanized.

Children and animals have no voice-we have been given stewardship responsibilities to be their voice.