Respected Contributor

Re: charities to remember this time of the year

I have a list of charities I support every year. At the beginning of the year I establish my spreadsheet and that makes it easier for me to keep up with all year. Military and animal related are my primary priority. Even though I was tempted to give to a charity a local radio station was collecting for last weekend I decided best to stick with ones on my spreadsheet. One of my pet peeves about donating to a new charity is how much more junk mail is this going to generate that I will have to deal with. To each their own when it comes to managing charity donations.
Honored Contributor

I donate monthly to doctor susan LOVE breast cancer research.  I have for years. She is an amazing person, her research great and they have a stellar rating.

i have always tithed, but am going to use that tithe money next year to serve the needy on a local personal level. Anyone have suggestions for charities in nocal?

Honored Contributor

@shoekittyNoel7 mentioned one that serves hot meals to the hungry

Respected Contributor

Thank you cherry for starting this thread! 

I donate to Wreaths Across America.  Around the holidays our Boy Scouts in the area have a food drive and I always buy and donate items for their drive. 

I also donate to our local Backpack program for hungry children.  I had nursing students in an elementary school and we helped pack those backpacks every week while we were there.  We all learned a lesson there....little kids that would forget their coats, books, you name it.  But they never, ever forgot to bring their backpack into school on Monday morning.  Broke my heart because they just never forgot those backpacks since it was many times the only food they would have over the weekend.  I like to donate this time of year because they need more supplies since the kiddos are out of school over the break. 

I also like to cover 2 food angels  through a program provided by the Salvation Army and a local grocery store.  I think they have these programs all over the country.  You pay for a Christmas dinner that is delivered to a family.

Obviously, I hate to think of people, especially little ones being hungry! 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Super Contributor

@chihuahuamom wrote:

Lottie Moon Christmas offering.  We Baptists give to this during the Christmas season to support our missionaries both here and overseas.

What a worthy cause. Lottie Moon was a remarkable, faithful servant.