Esteemed Contributor

Re: Zika infected Mosquitoes found in the US

Well the CDC is saying there are twelve (12) confirmed cases of Zika infection by local mosquitoes in one area of Miami-Dade County.  Eight are men and four are pregnant women.

I read that spraying has not done much to quell the onslaught because the pesticide being used is not effective.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Per the 6:30 news there were 15 cases.

One baby born with hydrocephaly will require $10million of care over their lifetime.

Will Congress act? They're on a well deserved 7 week vacation.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp wrote:

@pitdakota, so glad to see you on this thread.  I have a question or more accurately looking for an explanation.  It is now being recommended that women be tested for Zika if they are pregnant or trying to get pregnant yet I've not seen the same recommendation for men to be tested.

Why?  It would seem to me that male testing would be even more important because it has not yet been determined how long the virus survives in sperm.  I know some sperm banks are setting up guidelines in an attempt to prevent transmission but what about the general public?

Hi @Marp!  Sorry, I am just now seeing this since I haven't been on the board the last couple of days.

Great question.  I don't think it is that they are ignoring men in this situation, but with limited public health funds available they will put the emphasis on pregnant women or women actively trying to pregnant.  Those groups are the highest priority so they will get the word out for those women to be tested & reserve the money to target those 2 particular groups.

Members of the local public health department are probably randomly canvasing residents in the one county in Fla. and based on information they receive, they will test those men.  And follow up will also require that partners of anyone that test positive for Zika to be tested also.  But right now, the public service announcements will probably concentrate on getting the word out to pregnant women.

Hope that helps answer that somewhat and I hope you are doing well. Heart

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pitdakota wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@pitdakota, so glad to see you on this thread.  I have a question or more accurately looking for an explanation.  It is now being recommended that women be tested for Zika if they are pregnant or trying to get pregnant yet I've not seen the same recommendation for men to be tested.

Why?  It would seem to me that male testing would be even more important because it has not yet been determined how long the virus survives in sperm.  I know some sperm banks are setting up guidelines in an attempt to prevent transmission but what about the general public?

Hi @Marp!  Sorry, I am just now seeing this since I haven't been on the board the last couple of days.

Great question.  I don't think it is that they are ignoring men in this situation, but with limited public health funds available they will put the emphasis on pregnant women or women actively trying to pregnant.  Those groups are the highest priority so they will get the word out for those women to be tested & reserve the money to target those 2 particular groups.

Members of the local public health department are probably randomly canvasing residents in the one county in Fla. and based on information they receive, they will test those men.  And follow up will also require that partners of anyone that test positive for Zika to be tested also.  But right now, the public service announcements will probably concentrate on getting the word out to pregnant women.

In our local paper, it was announced by the NY Blood Center that those who travelled to FL in the past 2 months will not be allowed to donate blood and will be asked that question (did you travel to FL in the past 2 months) if they go to donate blood.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pitdakota wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@pitdakota, the best I can say is while it is a logical explanation it is a very unsatisfactory and short-sighted approach, particularly as it applies to couples actively trying to get pregnant.  What good does it do to test the woman if the man is untested but is a carrier.  Talk about a false sense of security.

A bit of a rant here, but if TPTB don't get off their collective butts and fund zika the few millions needed will end up being a drop in a bucket compared to the billions it could cost in medical treatment for affected children over their life.

Other than the frustrations about the state of the world I'm doing fine lol.  Hope all is well with you and yours.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

First US Case of Zika Spread Through Sex By Man with No Symptoms The Centers for Disease Control says a Maryland man contracted Zika overseas, then later infected his sex partner without showing symptoms.

http://patch.com/maryland/annapolis/first-us-case-zika-spread-through-sex-man-no-symptoms

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

First US Case of Zika Spread Through Sex By Man with No Symptoms The Centers for Disease Control says a Maryland man contracted Zika overseas, then later infected his sex partner without showing symptoms.

http://patch.com/maryland/annapolis/first-us-case-zika-spread-through-sex-man-no-symptoms

Excellent!  Thanks for updating.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

I think you only have to worry about Zika if youre pregnant or planning on getting pregnant.  This is for both men and women.

@meem120- or those with suppressed immune systems by medication or illness.

Esteemed Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I think this is a potentially HUGE problem.

Babies with these serious neurological issues will be tragic and expensive.

There needs to be serious mosquito control going on.  I know we won't be able to get them all, but it needs to be tried.

If I have this correct, they have asked people in Miami-Dade County NOT to donate blood, as well as those who have traveled in to there.

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003- you bring out a good point.  There is always a shortage of blood and the implications of a Zika outbreak will have an impact on our blood supply.  

Esteemed Contributor

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

@meem120 wrote:

I think you only have to worry about Zika if youre pregnant or planning on getting pregnant.  This is for both men and women.

If a man or woman of child bearing age gets the virus, will they ever be able to have children without the risk of this terrible neurological disorder?  We were just discussing this at dinner this evening.  One of our friends asked this question and no one knew the answer. 

@KentuckyWoman- according to Dr. Jameson of the CDC, whilst admitting not a lot is known about Zika, a lot of research is ongoing.  But, she stated that Zika like any other virus clears the system in about 2 weeks and will not affect future childbearing.  Most likely a vaccine will be available in the future but not now.