Respected Contributor

Re: Zika infected Mosquitoes found in the US

@meem120 wrote:

I think you only have to worry about Zika if youre pregnant or planning on getting pregnant.  This is for both men and women.

If a man or woman of child bearing age gets the virus, will they ever be able to have children without the risk of this terrible neurological disorder?  We were just discussing this at dinner this evening.  One of our friends asked this question and no one knew the answer. 

Esteemed Contributor

Zika VIRUS, it should concern all of us not just babies or couples who want to conceive.  We all can get it.

Mosquito repellent with DEET has been advised as well as other precautions concerning them.  ..standing water, etc.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

Empty out the tires hanging about your property, plant saucers and birdbaths every other day. Make sure you clear out brush (breeding grounds for skeeters). Mosquito only need an inch of water for their eggs and larvae.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

@meem120 wrote:

I think you only have to worry about Zika if youre pregnant or planning on getting pregnant.  This is for both men and women.

I read that they are finding some serious long term problems in adults, some multiple sclerosis type symptoms as well as vision loss and cognitive difficulties that are lifelong.  Not to mention Guillain Barre syndrome.  It's been linked to inflammation of the spinal cord and brain. 

The first zika outbreak was in 2007 but at that time it didn't cause neurological conditions.  The virus has mutated as it expanded geographically.

Wow, thanks for sharing that Snoop.  I'm grateful at least they are only a Summer Burden where I live, but I like the Caribbean.  Gotta pack that Off for those trips.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Well I am spraying bug repellant and they are still eating me alive.   They are horrible this year !!!!

Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I think this is a potentially HUGE problem.

Babies with these serious neurological issues will be tragic and expensive.

There needs to be serious mosquito control going on.  I know we won't be able to get them all, but it needs to be tried.

If I have this correct, they have asked people in Miami-Dade County NOT to donate blood, as well as those who have traveled in to there.

Hyacinth

There are serious efforts to continue the release of gentically modified mosquitoes which ultimately lead to the destruction of Aedes aegypti mosquitoes (carriers of Zika).  These mosquitoes have been treated to where they pass off a flawed gene so that any offspring do not survive to adulthood. 

These efforts have been fairly successful in other parts of the world.  However, residents of Florida have staged protests & have launched no consent programs in the state.  So, that has seriously hampered the efforts to release these mosquitoes in an effort to kill off the particular breed of mosquito that carries Zika.

So, in the meantime....routine mosquito control, using insect repellant, and constantly monitor for standing water and empty are efforts that individuals can take to decrease the risk. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

Zika can also be passed by sexual transmission.

Honored Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

There needs to be serious mosquito control going on.  I know we won't be able to get them all, but it needs to be tried.

If I have this correct, they have asked people in Miami-Dade County NOT to donate blood, as well as those who have traveled in to there.

Hyacinth

There are serious efforts to continue the release of gentically modified mosquitoes which ultimately lead to the destruction of Aedes aegypti mosquitoes (carriers of Zika).  These mosquitoes have been treated to where they pass off a flawed gene so that any offspring do not survive to adulthood. 

These efforts have been fairly successful in other parts of the world.  However, residents of Florida have staged protests & have launched no consent programs in the state.  So, that has seriously hampered the efforts to release these mosquitoes in an effort to kill off the particular breed of mosquito that carries Zika.

So, in the meantime....routine mosquito control, using insect repellant, and constantly monitor for standing water and empty are efforts that individuals can take to decrease the risk. 

Because people when they hear 'genetically modified' get crazy (think Frankenstein) and don't think that this could benefit them in the long run. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Finally, a problem we don't have where I live.  No mosquitos in our dry climate.

But this is such a concern, especially for pregnant women and their babies. I hope it can be eradicated soon.

Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Hyacinth

Because people when they hear 'genetically modified' get crazy (think Frankenstein) and don't think that this could benefit them in the long run. 

That is a good way of putting it @JustJazzmom.  They have done this in other parts of the world which led to around a reduction rate of around 90%.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *