Esteemed Contributor

Zika infected Mosquitoes found in the US

There have been four (4) confirmed infections of the Zika Virus in Florida.  These infections occurred in two counties in Florida: Miami-Dade (2) confirmed cases; Broward County (2) confirmed cases.  

(CNN)Four individuals in Miami-Dade and Broward counties have been infected with the Zika virus by local mosquitoes, Florida health officials said Friday.

These are the first known cases of the virus being transmitted by mosquitoes in the continental United States.

"While no mosquitoes trapped tested positive for the Zika virus, the department believes these cases were likely transmitted through infected mosquitoes in this area," according to a statement from the Florida Department of Health.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Zika infected Mosquitoes found in the US

It's important to get rid of any standing water and to use repellent.
Respected Contributor

I think there have been some confirmed cases in Illinois too.

Respected Contributor

I think you only have to worry about Zika if youre pregnant or planning on getting pregnant.  This is for both men and women.

Esteemed Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

I think you only have to worry about Zika if youre pregnant or planning on getting pregnant.  This is for both men and women.

True.  There may be some here who plan to do that! Otherwise, they can pass this on to those they know of child bearing age.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

I have been waiting for the news these mosquitoes are right here in the US, and people don't need to leave home to wind up with this virus.   

Last week while waiting on my husband, a dragonfly was flying all around my car.   I pulled out my phone and Google'd dragonflies; learning they have the longest migration of over 11,000 miles across the Indian Ocean, plus they eat over 100 mosquitoes daily. Duh, there's your sign!  I say increase the population of dragonflies, and let them eat all those Zika carrying mosquitoes!

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I have been waiting for the news these mosquitoes are right here in the US, and people don't need to leave home to wind up with this virus.   

Last week while waiting on my husband, a dragonfly was flying all around my car.   I pulled out my phone and Google'd dragonflies; learning they have the longest migration of over 11,000 miles across the Indian Ocean, plus they eat over 100 mosquitoes daily. Duh, there's your sign!  I say increase the population of dragonflies, and let them eat all those Zika carrying mosquitoes!

If you don't increase the habitat of dragonflies (places where they breed or live) there won`t be an increase in dragonflies.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

I read that they are finding some serious long term problems in adults, some multiple sclerosis type symptoms as well as vision loss and cognitive difficulties that are lifelong.  Not to mention Guillain Barre syndrome.  It's been linked to inflammation of the spinal cord and brain. 

The first zika outbreak was in 2007 but at that time it didn't cause neurological conditions.  The virus has mutated as it expanded geographically.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think this is a potentially HUGE problem.

Babies with these serious neurological issues will be tragic and expensive.

There needs to be serious mosquito control going on.  I know we won't be able to get them all, but it needs to be tried.

If I have this correct, they have asked people in Miami-Dade County NOT to donate blood, as well as those who have traveled in to there.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I think this is a potentially HUGE problem.

Babies with these serious neurological issues will be tragic and expensive.

There needs to be serious mosquito control going on.  I know we won't be able to get them all, but it needs to be tried.

If I have this correct, they have asked people in Miami-Dade County NOT to donate blood, as well as those who have traveled in to there.

Hyacinth

Miami-Dade blood donors blood will have to be tested for Zika (every existing bag) I heard on the radio today before it can be used. The Health Department said people will need to use mosquito repellent containing Deet.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼