Respected Contributor

Re: You Know it's a Snowpocalypse when.........

No thunder here, nunya.

I am not going anywhere (unless we lose power)

I have a coupe that does not drive in snow, so I do not move in this stuff.

Respected Contributor

On 2/13/2014 Predsfan said:

Good Luck to everyone in PA. Stay in and stay warm if you can.

At least little kitty is having some fun. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

She sure is. And the puppy LOVES to go out in the snow too. She is so small I could easily lose her, but she just races around like crazy in it.

They don't take after me, I hate the snow, lol.

Honored Contributor

Well I can say that all of you going through this have my sympathy and prayers. I am sorry that some people use this as an opportunity to belittle and insult those going through a scary and stressing time. Most of us understand how it is and our thoughts and prayers are with you, not our scorn. What you are enduring, lots of us have been through in recent years! Ice broke down huge trees here just before Christmas but we never lost power thank goodness! Be safe!

Honored Contributor

On 2/13/2014 SydneyH said:
On 2/12/2014 happy housewife said:When you live where it snows - no matter how little or how infrequently - is it not your responsibilty to know how to drive in the snow, ice, sleet etc? it isn't rocket science to figure out to go down to a lower gear going down a hill instead of hitting the brake and sliding all over the place. now a days cars have antilock brakes too. And you aren't driving up and down steep mountainsides or crossing several bridges every time you go out either.

Happy your assumptions are not based in reality. Watch the Blizzard episode of Raging Planet sometime if you don't believe me. I've been driving in snow for several decades, pockets of extreme weather can appear out of 'nowhere' quite frequently.

True, Sydney!

I live in a snowbelt area and even locals have a tough time getting used to the snow!

In January when we had our blizzard, a whiteout caused me to literally drive PAST my own driveway - I couldn't see past the windshield. It came up suddenly and was very frightening!!!

Respected Contributor

I was on my home from the in-laws one time, and halfway home the freeway turned to ice. It was so scary. I can drive in snow no problem, but the ice was freaky. I was going about 15-20 MPH and still sliding all over the place. It was basically like a skating rink. What should have been a 1-1/2 hour drive turned into over 3 hours.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Valued Contributor

Our local news (I'm in south central Pa) had more than 1000 closings this morning. Looking out our window, there's nothing to see but white.

The news said we are getting about an inch and hour and they're expecting it to last through tonight.

Just hope we don't lose electric, although we've got gas ready for our small generator.

Wishing everyone the best and stay safe and warm.

Respected Contributor

You wish you were in 70 degree Sochi with Matt and Al.

Valued Contributor

On 2/13/2014 Sooner said:

Well I can say that all of you going through this have my sympathy and prayers. I am sorry that some people use this as an opportunity to belittle and insult those going through a scary and stressing time. Most of us understand how it is and our thoughts and prayers are with you, not our scorn. What you are enduring, lots of us have been through in recent years! Ice broke down huge trees here just before Christmas but we never lost power thank goodness! Be safe!

Sooner, what a kind post, there have only been a few unkind comments that I've seen, and they are made by people who have no idea,.......but your kindness and compassion , and the kindness of others make up for it!
Esteemed Contributor

I watched on the news about some areas. I agree that it must be scary. It's nice knowing that it won't last and that warmer weather is going to be on the way someday.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Super Contributor

On 2/12/2014 happy housewife said: People who say they don't know how to drive in the snow so they slid all over the road should NOT BE DRIVING IN THE SNOW THEN. If you don't know how to drive in the snow - stay home or at work. My former boss who was from Houston would often stay the night in her office so she didn't have to drive home and then back in the snow. This is just normal common sense. Don't know how to drive in the snow - take a bus .

Know how to drive in the snow? When the snow makes every road turn to ice, there is really no such thing as knowing how to drive in the snow. Only people with hubris think they know how to drive in the snow. WinkIt's a kwap shoot at best.