Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Shorty2U 

Something like this?  If so, it's a shame there had to be an actual piercing when there are so many pretty non-pierced accessories without the risk of infection now/later. 

IMG_1050.JPG

I think this is absolutely disgusting ... it is not a look that belongs on any civilized person ..... looks like something that would be worn by someone in a tribe in the back bush of an undeveloped country!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

When I was in high school back in the 1980's, mohawks were the hairstyle that was en vogue.

My parents said to me that if I wanted to style my hair that way, it was okay with them, because it was my hair, and I had to wear it.

Now, I had no interest in getting a mohawk, because I was all about rocking the perm, but it was nice to know that if I had wanted to get a mohawk, it would have been okay with my parents.

Oh, and the pictures of the noserings? 

I think they are pretty, and I wouldn't judge anyone who wore a nose ring.

Some of the nicest people that I have met, had nose piercings, tattoos, and ear guages.

While two of those may not be for me personally, I'm not going to judge someone who does wear them.

Esteemed Contributor

I would not allow my daughter to get a tattoo until she turned 18, and on her 18th birthday she went and got a tattoo, not a thing I could do about it then.

Honored Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

I see nose rings all the time, on Bulls.

@Nomorebirthdays

The difference is they look good on the bulls.....and actually serve a purpose.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Do not really like any piercing other than on the ear. Except, a belly button ring is kinda cute if you have a  super flat stomach to go with it!!!

-Texas Hill Country-
Respected Contributor

I would never allow them to do anything to their face like that.  They wouldn't have been allowed to go to school like that either.  It never would have been an issue.

Respected Contributor

I don't think it's attractive on anyone.

I think it definitely delivers a negative impression in the working world.

If she were my 17-year-old, we would have a discussion first but, ultimately, I wouldn't allow it. She would have to be an adult living on her own to make her own decision.

A faux nose ring would have been the common sense choice.

Honored Contributor

I think it is your grandaughter's immediate family's decision and you should not let it affect you or how you feel about them.  In today's world it is a small thing. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the replies and opinions. To clarify; I meant yes or no to the nose ring (not yes or no to me saying anything to her or her parents).

Anyway yes it's like the horseshoe shape pictures in the pics someone posted here. BUT, hers looks small compared to those and hers does NOT have all that bling around it like on those pictures as far as I can tell by looking at the pics they sent me..

My daughter now tells me she can turn it inside her nose later so its not viewable (gross!). And she can take it out in 6 weeks. Daughter also tells me kids that have part time school jobs at grocery stores have them,

Anyway that granddaughter wants to be a make up artist and or hair stylist. She is going to go to Cosmetology school after she graduates.

And she has gages in her ears too (which I also hate) HOWEVER they are small not those big ones. So they look like little disc earrings (nothing major there).

And on her behalf I will say shes a good kid, causes no trouble, does well in school. So yeah I guess the nose thing isn't the worst thing a teen could be doing.

Lastly I do kind of like the little diamonds girls put in the side of their nose however my daughter says they're worse then getting the middle done b.c the side hole stays a hole where the middle you cant see the hole inside if she would change her mind and never wear that nose ring in the middle again.

So that's the scoop. I haven't seen it in person yet, so I don't know what I will say then. lol. I will probably just say oh that's nice (or something) And yes SIL knows it and wasn't thrilled but in the end he said let her get it.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

Smart of you to say little, because they know what you think anyway (they always do!).

Agreed, not the end of the world, but I don't understand the constant need to pierce and tattoo up one's body. It isn't my thing, and as mainstream as it is becoming, I still think people are judged about it in many employment circumstances, and with meeting parents/grandparents of boy/girl friends etc. 

My practice now that I have an adult child is to be clear about my views if asked (or I think it is important enough to offer up even without them asking) just one time. Then let it go. I won't nag about something, but I won't condone, support, participate in, or pretend to like something that I don't.

Life goes on. I know my parents and grandparents did not approve of everything I did as a young adult. Now it is just my (our) time to shake our heads and move on with loving them through it anyway!