Esteemed Contributor

Well with my allergies have been so bad lately that I would be afraid to blow the ring right out.   Definitly a no from  me.    

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't say anything to any one who had tatts where they could be seen or nose or tongue piercings. I would not hire them though, to me it's a sign of being immature and impulsive. I think parents need to think about that and point that out to kids before they give their blessing.

Honored Contributor

I would not be happy with my daughter for allowing my 17 year old GD to get a nose ring.

My husband would probably tell me to keep my mouth shut. I seriously doubt I would.

Respected Contributor

@Shorty2U, I agree with you and would not like if it were my granddaughter or daughter. 

Years ago my DH and I went out to dinner.  We were sitting at the table and our waitress came over to get our order.  She had a nose ring and it actually made me sick to my stomach.  I guess mainly because we were going to eat and I just wasn't expecting it.

We never went to that restaurant again.  Everytime we passed by I could only think about that disgusting nose ring.  

Just my opinion, of course. 

Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U

Believe me as the mother of a son who has "ear plugs" & tattoos over his entire body (😲😰) I was quite shocked! His big thing was can I get a tattoo when he was 17-I forbid it. I said, when you are pay your way & an adult you can ....well, he did get a "small" tattoo while in college - then in his SR year did the ear plugs.

I have to say I had the same concerns about employment, being treated differently by his looks, etc.  that went in one ear and out the other.  My husband was absolutely insane when he saw him.

He graduated with honors & has a great job with a major company. He travels the world, owns his own home, has a great SO (might I add who is a leading tattoo artist well known - ugh😱So he can get them free!) & Is a wonderful caring compassionate son and person.

Honestly, for me I just shake my head.  The advice others gave you is right - think it but don't say it, it will become a issue in the relationship.

Times and this generation is about "expressing" themselves!  I'll never forget his 1st tattoo those from NJ will appreciate this - it was a Cases pork roll, egg & cheese sandwich! We ate this sandwich every Sunday and to this day we still do! At least, that lightened the "shock"!😉

Esteemed Contributor

It's her body, she can adorn it however she wants.

Afterall, how many women color their hair?

If or when she gets tired of it, she can remove it.

It doesn't matter if nobody elses likes it or approves of it, as long as she likes it.

Besides, I have a feeling that the younger generation is less judgemental than the older folks about such things.

Honored Contributor

My experience:  My daughter wanted a nose piercing as well as a tattoo before she turned 18.  I said no.  With one semester to go during her senior year of high school, she turned 18 and did both.

The nose piercing was a problem for her, since you're supposed to leave it in during the early months, and she was on a track team.  Rules were, that no jewelry was allowed at meets.  So she had to remove it and had trouble getting it put back in.  In college, she went back to wearing it for a while but it got to be more of a problem than it was worth for a busy student, so she let it close up.

The tattoo was/is on her foot.  Yes, I know there was a thread on this recently!  It's not a full tattoo, but an outline tattoo, and now being in a conservative profession, she is only buying shoes that cover it.  Perhaps she can have it removed by laser....shouldn't be too extensive since it isn't filled in.

Trusted Contributor
I see people working all the time who have nose rings but they aren't working at NY Life or my local bank, they are barista at Starbucks or in trendy boutiques. I would be disappointed if my son came home with a nose ring but I would get over it....
Honored Contributor

She can always take it out for work.

I can't say if you're right or wrong since it's how you feel but there is a right or wrong way to handle it now. 

The less attention you give it the less payoff it will be for her. 

My 18 year old daughter got a tattoo and a nose piercing soon after she turned 18. I felt she rushed into it just because "she could" but I didn't make s big production out of it either positively or negatively.  

Respected Contributor

I agree with you and admire your restraint. Study after study has shown brain function is not fully developed until 25. 

She can always let the piercing close if she doesn't 

like it. It is not considered to be such a big deal today by the kids.

Maybe your dd felt if that's the worst rebellion she acts out with it's ok.

My son wanted a tattoo of my maiden name in honor of his grandparents. I didn't allow it, even though he was in the Navy and graduated law school. (Of course I couldn't stop him)

Ultimately at 35 he did it and had trepidation telling me after the fact. At that point what could I say, he wanted it for so long, and respected my wishes,  but enjoy it.