Trusted Contributor

I'm not sure I understand your question..................

I agree with you as far as not saying much because you are not the mom.  Are you wondering if you should voice your opinion?

I suppose you could give your thoughts, but if your feelings on the matter were not sought out prior to the piercing ~ what good would it do?

Why interfere? (you mentioned this is not a good practice).

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

People will do anything if it's in vogue. Honestly, I can't imagine having my nose pierced. UGH! Not a good look.

Um (clearing throat), a nose piercing is not a "vogue" thing.

It's yesterday's trend...something that was popular yrs ago.

ETA:  Unless the GD lives in the Midwest (where trends are slow to arrive). 

Qualifier: I grew up in the Midwest. 

Honored Contributor

In one sense I agree, a legal adult signing for herself is better. But in reality, it's 17 vs 18. I doubt a 12 months or less difference in maturity would be that great at that age ;-)

As far as noses, I'm much less bothered by (and actually kind of like) the stud at the nostril crease than the middle done. For one thing a stud is smaller and less noticeable and to me a bit more feminine. But I have been waited on by young women cashiers and saleswomen with middle nose piercings and it doesn't really bother me. I personally consider it more of an actual 'adornment' than ear plugs or tongue piercings or even some tattoos - and you can remove it.

It might not fly in a law office, but the type of job the average inexperienced 17 year old would likely get, it most likely wouldn't matter a huge amount. JMO.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I think the ring through the nose is hideous.  Children growing up all go through a phase and like one other person said, it's not a tatoo.  The ring can be removed.  I don't understand the appeal.  When I lived in San Francisco piercings were everyone.  The eyebrows (not one but 5 or 6), lips, nose = gross.  Hopefully, she will grow out of the phase in her life and move on to better things like college.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

Would you feel the same if she had her ears pierced? So earrings are OK but nose rings not OK?  Maybe! Young people often want to establish their image and find their identity by adjusting their appearance. And testing soctal norms  or parental powers. Some stuff seems so exotic and extreme like tats and piercings, and so trendy and pretentious, and some things like dying/perming  our hair, wearing contacts instead of glasses, wearing earrings seem conventional and acceptable. 

Since the regrets someday (if any) will be your granddaughter's to experience and possibly learn from, I can only say I agree with you how silly and undecorous this seems as a personal affectation, but it's quite easy to hold your tongue and let her find her own standards or view of herself within her own family's values.  Perhaps someday in the future she will look at the pictures you viewed and cringe, not with squeamish reaction, but seeing the indignity it might finally look like to her.  

I would try to register doubt in the attractiveness of this alteration, and resist comment on the good or bad aspect of it. You don't have to love the look, but it's not fair to share it judgmentally. 

Honored Contributor

Kids do many things they may regret as they get older. Fortunately, a piercing is one of the least offensive on the list and is reversible. I'd leave the issue alone and stand back as difficult as that may be.

Trusted Contributor

I see nose rings all the time, on Bulls.

Honored Contributor

I do not like the type of piercing @Shorty2U described in the middle cartilage of the nose, but have always been intrigued by the piercing in the side crease of the nose and wearing a tiny diamond stud there.   However, I wouldn't do it, and am also thankful my girls haven't.   Something permanent to my body, or the inside of my home requires a lot of thought, because I like to change things up, often.   

Honored Contributor

That would be a definite "no" from me!  I don't like body piercing (other than single piercing on ear lobs) ... or tattoos!  

Respected Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

I see nose rings all the time, on Bulls.

Good one.  Also on bull headed kids who won't listen to reason.  

I do have a thought (or question) on the job issue, however. Does she plan to work in a diner or a bank.  The nose ring could make a difference.