Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@elated wrote:

First thing, I never said someone would be cold calling. You must have read someone else's comments.

@elated  Did you read the part about the IRS sending a letter with the name of the agency that would be calling?  No? 

Are you always so rude!!!! Why would the IRS send you a letter with the name of the agency when they would have to pay them a percentage of what they collect. Secondly, they have many options to collect the money from you.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@FUTURE wrote:

I only see this as being a HUGE cluster. For people who don't pay due to the history of IRS not calling you by phone (and yes, I know it will be debt collectors, but if I heard "we are collecting money for the IRS on their behalf" I'd probably hang up), as well as people thinking the IRS can now call, so they actually fall for the scams. I don't understand why they would use debt collectors instead of getting the money themselves......but what do I know. 

@FUTURE  You apparently didn't read the thread so continue to wonder,  as it was explained. 

So what if someone moved or the letter was delivered to the wrong address? I have other people's mail delivered to me frequently. No need to be RUDE and condescending. Seriously......

Regular Contributor

My takeaway is that we shouldn't trust phone calls or emails for that matter.

Better to go directly to the source and verify imo.

Honored Contributor

The IRS doesn't call, even if you owe a substantial amount.  They will contact you with mail correspondence encouraging the customer to contact them for a resolution.  If this goes unresolved....then a third authorized party will be in touch.