Honored Contributor

Re: Yes, The IRS May Call

[ Edited ]

@maestra wrote:

I'd still be inclined to tell them (the caller) to put it in writing and they could take a long hike.

@maestra  Before you reached the collection phase, you probably would have seen it in writing many times.   It's unlikely to come as a shock. 

This hiring of collections agencies is probably being done because the IRS budget has been slashed to the bone and their personnel have other functions to perform, like service to taxpayers. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Before you reached the collection phase, you probably would have seen it in writing many times.   It's unlikely to come as a shock. 

This hiring of collections agencies is probably being done because the IRS budget has been slashed to the bone and their personnel have other functions to perform, like service to taxpayers. 

@Kachina624  Thank you for posting in such a clear manner.  This was my exact thought.  These measure will only be taken in certain circumstances, and as you stated, to those individuals involved it won't come as a surprise.  

Also as you point out the IRS (due to budgetary constraints) do not have the staff to allocate to these more drawn out collection cases.

Starting in the late 1980s, the feds started to contract out many services.  Being a dedicated, loyal federal "servant",  I resented this new philosophy; yet I understood there were some jobs that be could contracted out and lessen expenses versus using federal employees.  I am still undecided about the amount and type of services that are contracted out, because I am not totally convinced these companies are monitored and held accountable as closely as a federal employee.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

Before you reached the collection phase, you probably would have seen it in writing many times.   It's unlikely to come as a shock. 

@Kachina624  Thank you for posting in such a clear manner.  This was my exact thought.  These measure will only be taken in certain circumstances, and as you stated, to those individuals involved it won't come as a surprise.  

Also as you point out the IRS (due to budgetary constraints) do not have the staff to allocate to these more drawn out collection cases.

Starting in the late 1980s, the feds started to contract out many services.  Being a dedicated, loyal federal "servant",  I resented this new philosophy; yet I understood there were some jobs that be could contracted out and lessen expenses versus using federal employees.  I am still undecided about the amount and type of services that are contracted out, because I am not totally convinced these companies are monitored and held accountable as closely as a federal employee.

@Allegheny  As a retired state employee, I understand the issue of privatization.  There are many instances where it has been somewhat of a disaster.  Corporations are not, for instance, so good at running prisons.  The big budget cuts at the IRS this year have been well publicized and will result in fewer audits, a false economy.  You just cannot and should not run government like a corporation... it exists to serve the people. 

Esteemed Contributor

I know people that were scammed by people pretending to be from the IRS. If someone calls you claiming to be from the IRS or a private collection agency, I would contact the IRS dimmediately. I would not even consider or listen to someone pretending to be a representative of the IRS. The IRS has many options available to them to collect the money owed. Be leary of anyone calling you.

Respected Contributor

@elated

Just FYI.  No one will be cold calling.  Written notification is given twice.

The IRS will give taxpayers and their representative written notice that the accounts are being transferred to the private collection agencies. The agencies will send a second, separate letter to the taxpayer and their representative confirming this transfer.

Esteemed Contributor

First thing, I never said someone would be cold calling. You must have read someone else's comments.

Respected Contributor

I only see this as being a HUGE cluster. For people who don't pay due to the history of IRS not calling you by phone (and yes, I know it will be debt collectors, but if I heard "we are collecting money for the IRS on their behalf" I'd probably hang up), as well as people thinking the IRS can now call, so they actually fall for the scams. I don't understand why they would use debt collectors instead of getting the money themselves......but what do I know. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Yes, The IRS May Call

[ Edited ]

I wonder if I got one of these fake IRS calls today.  I noticed a missed call on my phone (nomorobo must have caught it, because it never rang but the number hadn't been blocked yet).  For the name, it said 'Washington DC' and had a normal-looking phone number that started with what I think the DC area code is.

PS:  Forgot to add - we don't owe any taxes.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@FUTURE wrote:

I only see this as being a HUGE cluster. For people who don't pay due to the history of IRS not calling you by phone (and yes, I know it will be debt collectors, but if I heard "we are collecting money for the IRS on their behalf" I'd probably hang up), as well as people thinking the IRS can now call, so they actually fall for the scams. I don't understand why they would use debt collectors instead of getting the money themselves......but what do I know. 

@FUTURE  You apparently didn't read the thread so continue to wonder,  as it was explained. 

Honored Contributor

@elated wrote:

First thing, I never said someone would be cold calling. You must have read someone else's comments.

@elated  Did you read the part about the IRS sending a letter with the name of the agency that would be calling?  No?