Honored Contributor

Emmy-nominated actress Eileen Davidson is headed back to Days of our Lives. Her return has been rumored since May, when the actress was let go from The Young and the Restless. Davidson last appeared on DAYS in 1998.

Though rumored for nearly two months, it's now a done deal: Eileen Davidson (Kristen Blake) is headed back to Days of our Lives. Exactly how Davidson's return came about remains something of a soap opera storyline.

"I'm thrilled to embark on this new adventure at DAYS and excited to revisit Kristen and who knows who else! Not to mention my old friends in the cast and crew," Davidson told the Hollywood Reporter.

The "who knows who else" is apparently a nod to the four other characters that Davidson has played on Days of our Lives over the years.

Davidson started off playing just one role, Kristen Blake in 1993. Three years after that, she added Susan Banks. Later, Davidson played Susan's three siblings, Sister Mary Moira Banks, Thomas Banks, and Penelope Kent. The actress left DAYS in 1998.

Davidson became available for the return to Days of our Lives earlier this year when she was fired from her role on The Young and the Restless. Both soaps are distributed by Sony Pictures, so the company's executives have a say in how the two shows are managed. According to at least one published report, a top Sony executive felt that Davidson was needed more on DAYS than she was on Y&R.

"Apparently, Sony's Steve Kent brought Davidson into his office and said, 'I have good news and I have bad news. The bad news is that you're leaving Y&R because DAYS really wants and needs you,'" Nelson Branco reported in his Soap Opera Uncensored column.

Branco also stated that initially Davidson was to have pulled double duty on both soaps, but that Y&R's writing team "refused to share Davidson with DAYS and forced Sony to make a decision ultimately leading to her Y&R firing."

Due to DAYS' fast-paced production schedule, Davidson's first appearance will not take place until October 11.