Honored Contributor

Re: Writing your own obituary

@silentgirl wrote:

Whatever someone wants to do, is fine-

I felt honored that my Mom trusted me to document her milestones in life and represent her to the world for the last time.  As painful as it was.

If you haven't published an obit of late, be aware-real estate in the obit section comes at a high cost. 

Three succinct  paragraphs with photo in the Sunday edition-cost to me; 650.00 - Once proofed, making a line correction, 20.00 dollars per correction.

Might be cheaper to self publish it on Amazon!  LOL

@silentgirl

GULP!!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

My thoughts are I cannot think of anything more depressing than writing my own obituary. The last thing I need right now (after having been diagnosed this week with yet another auto-immune disease) is to even contemplate dying. I would much rather hide my head in the sand, like I have been for years and believe I have a heck of a lot more time on the planet.

I would also prefer that my kids say about me whatever they wanted to. They don't need me to control what they do after my demise..... I would rather they spoke from the heart which knowing my kids they will do.

Honored Contributor

I don't see anything out of the ordinary about writing your own obit.    Who knows you better than yourself?   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have written my obituary, as well as my husbands.   They are basic and simple, with all that needs to be said.  My daughters know where they are.   

I have also written my mother's obituary, as per her simple wishes.   Mom is very familiar with the preprinted form local funeral homes use as a standard guideline to write obits, if you don't provide one.  She was very specific about what she did not want thrown in there; i.e., hobbies and interests, and everything she has done in her lifetime.   Nether of us like that type of obituary.   

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

My thoughts are I cannot think of anything more depressing than writing my own obituary. The last thing I need right now (after having been diagnosed this week with yet another auto-immune disease) is to even contemplate dying. I would much rather hide my head in the sand, like I have been for years and believe I have a heck of a lot more time on the planet.

I would also prefer that my kids say about me whatever they wanted to. They don't need me to control what they do after my demise..... I would rather they spoke from the heart which knowing my kids they will do.

@Trinity11 ... You may need to hide your head for a while, but please pull yourself up by your bootstrings and face what is ahead.  You've made it this long and you will make it further.  You need to believe that and only you can make it happen.  Blessings to you and grab on to the life you have now. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Trinity11

Of course you don't have to answer this, but which autoimmune diseases do you have?

I have Hashimoto's, RA, Sjogren's, scleroderma, fibromyalgia, and CFS . . . and, of course, osteoporosis and the lovely symptoms that go along with all of it.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Preds wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Trinity11 ... You may need to hide your head for a while, but please pull yourself up by your bootstrings and face what is ahead.  You've made it this long and you will make it further.  You need to believe that and only you can make it happen.  Blessings to you and grab on to the life you have now. 

Thanks for the sentiments.Heart I already absorbed what I was told this week and will most definitely take whatever meds I need to so I don't have to think about writing my obituary any time soon. Woman Happy

Today, no matter how hard it was to leave the house and walk, I still did it  and feel so much better for having done so.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Trinity11

Of course you don't have to answer this, but which autoimmune diseases do you have?

I have Hashimoto's, RA, Sjogren's, scleroderma, fibromyalgia, and CFS . . . and, of course, osteoporosis and the lovely symptoms that go along with all of it.

I have 4 of them which I would rather pretend I don't have. I have also had a major heart attack, severe damage to my heart muscle and went into heart failure for a few months. I am a walking miracle because of pharmaceuticals. LOL ...Without them, I couldn't have gone shopping this afternoon and lunch with my husband. So I am so very grateful that I was born when I was and there are meds that can make my life so much more full... No plans to leave the planet anytime soon...but then again who really knows.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Trinity11

I have 4 of them which I would rather pretend I don't have. I have also had a major heart attack, severe damage to my heart muscle and went into heart failure for a few months. I am a walking miracle because of pharmaceuticals. LOL ...Without them, I couldn't have gone shopping this afternoon and lunch with my husband. So I am so very grateful that I was born when I was and there are meds that can make my life so much more full... No plans to leave the planet anytime soon...but then again who really knows.

@Trinity11

Well, one thing you have that I don't have . . . bravery.  I mean two things . . . a loving husband doesn't hurt either.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

When my parents died I wrote just the facts - family etc. I never really understand the reason for writing some big long deal about their life. Those who know them already knew about their life and those who didn't know them wouldn't care.