Esteemed Contributor

Re: Writing your own obituary

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt I am exactly the same way, no funeral, no memorial, no nothing, my family is not here for me when I am alive, why be there when I am dead!

Honored Contributor

I've always thought that funerals were for the living and that it was the survivors' time to look back at their loved one and remember them in their own way, to help them in the grieving processs.  At least, that's what I've always thought.

But whatever works for the person and the ones they leave behind seems right. 

I don't intend to write one for me because I don't intend to die.

Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

It's just me so I figure when I pass my remains will be taken care of as directed in my will and the remembrances will be via Facebook posts . . . Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Whatever someone wants to do, is fine-

I felt honored that my Mom trusted me to document her milestones in life and represent her to the world for the last time.  As painful as it was.

If you haven't published an obit of late, be aware-real estate in the obit section comes at a high cost. 

Three succinct  paragraphs with photo in the Sunday edition-cost to me; 650.00 - Once proofed, making a line correction, 20.00 dollars per correction.

Might be cheaper to self publish it on Amazon!  LOL

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I've always thought that funerals were for the living and that it was the survivors' time to look back at their loved one and remember them in their own way, to help them in the grieving processs.  At least, that's what I've always thought.

But whatever works for the person and the ones they leave behind seems right. 

I don't intend to write one for me because I don't intend to die.

Cat LOL

@QueenDanceALot to add to your post I too believe it's up to an individual how you grieve/honor a lost loved one.

I worked with a woman that had severe health challenges.  They were clear when you saw her but she did a great job of working through them every day.

Back in the 90's, we used to stop off for a drink on Friday's with a group and she and I got to talking because everyone else was mingling.  During the course of our conversation she said she liked me because I didn't ask her out for a drink so she could watch my purse . . . I had all I could do to not burst out into sobs at that point as I found her comment stunning and worse many of the people we were with were much closer to her.

Eventually her challenges caught up to her and she passed.  I caught a ton of grief from people that I didn't attend her services and those were the exact people that expected her to watch their purse . . . people need to work through situations as what is best for them and don't let others guilt you into other behavior.  I am good with all of the people in my life that have passed and look forward to seeing each and every one of them when my time comes . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

It's a good idea, imo.  Sometimes people have family members who aren't too close and/or who have no idea re: their loved ones' friends, neighbors, helpful people in their lives.  All in all, it could be very comforting to the person to have everything written and on file at the funeral home.  That way, the person will make sure that everything is stated in his/her obituary, especially the gratefulness and thankfulness to the special, day-to-day people in the person's life. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I kinda always thought that the obit was from the hearts of others but, hey, it's your funeral!  Smiley Happy   Seriously, if people want to do that - more power to them.

I won't, as I've already requested no funeral or any of that.  Donate what is useful and, for all I care, throw the rest in the trash and move on.   I guess you can't do that, so cremation, then throw away the ashes, is probably the only other choice.  Or just don't claim the body and that way there is no cost.   I don't care at all.   That's what works for me, though.  I don't begrudge others their choices, of course.

i feel the exact same way @chickenbutt.

no need for me to relive my own life on paper because it is already in my memory.....all the good and the bad.........let others hopefully remember me with love and laughter and print what they think is fitting.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Writing my own?  Hmmm ... I'm dead and gone.  If you knew me, you know all you need to know.  If you loved me, I loved you.  If you want to hear about my past, too late.  If you were a taking care of me ... dang, didn't do a good job, did you? Smiley Wink 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@Preds wrote:

Writing my own?  Hmmm ... I'm dead and gone.  If you knew me, you know all you need to know.  If you loved me, I loved you.  If you want to hear about my past, too late.  If you were a taking care of me ... dang, didn't do a good job, did you? Smiley Wink 

Oh goodness @Preds I know you have to hear me laughing all the way by you . . . didn't do a good job . . . talk about tee-hee! . . . . thanks for the laugh out loud!  Heart

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Preds wrote:

Oh goodness @Preds I know you have to hear me laughing all the way by you . . . didn't do a good job . . . talk about tee-hee! . . . . thanks for the laugh out loud!  Heart

I agree, that's our Preds!