Honored Contributor

Re: Writing your own obituary

I need to make my arrangements.  I want an immediate cremation - it's one way to avoid being embalmed.  What's left of my family knows this - talk to me now because when I die off to the crematory I go.  

I used to joke because one of my favorite sayings is "I'm working on it".  I used to say, write on my headstone - She died working on it, lol.

I think if you want to write your obituary, go ahead.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Obituary-short.  Service- private.

Honored Contributor

She lived. She cried. She laughed.  She loved.....and she was loved....

Who who am I kidding   - it will read - "She was a pain in the *ss!!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am having a hard enought time putting the "guest list" together let alone writting something.

I guess they will also want food too?

Music? Smiley Frustrated

Wow I sound so grumpy tonight.Smiley Surprised

Super Contributor

My wishes are very simple. No service, no obit. Cremate me and throw me to the four winds.

Respected Contributor

Here is the best self written obit & have ever read,lol.. A friend of mine MIL wrote her own-following...

Well, I am out of here. I want everyone to know that I have had a very good life. Fun is the meaning of life and I have had my share.

I have a good, smart son, xxxnamexxx, whom I love very much and I am very proud of him and his accomplishments. I plan to be his guardian angel. (Yes, me, his nutty mom.) XXX, my daughter-in-law, was the best I could wish for.

My parents - XXXXnamesXXXX - were the best they could be to their kids.

Raised us during the DEPRESSION - Good Job. Tough Job. Well Done.

My brothers - xxx were the neatest guys. xxx was a war hero and xxx was indescribable. They were both characters in their own right.

XXXXX -the best friend of my life. Always there, when sometimes ( I believe) he would rather be someplace else. Acquaintances, buddies, (The Java Posse, especially.) You know who you are. I have been blessed with the people I met and have known over the years. You have meant a great deal to me.

I love you all. Every joke, smile, hello and hug you shared with me contributed a lot to my life. Thank you for all you did.

I Love You - XXX

Esteemed Contributor

I really don't like fanfare....I just want to be cremated and so does my husband.  My family can do what they wish, a small memorial, no religious service for me, a prayer by a priest for my husband ....those who loved me and knew me, know how I lived my life and what I stood for...I'm more concerned about advanced directives....I'll be gone...I won't be reading it....this poem says it all for me...

http://www.linda-ellis.com/the-dash-the-dash-poem-by-linda-ellis-.html

Respected Contributor

It sounds like the best way to toot your own horn. something a control freak or narcissist would do.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

What is an LBI daughter?  My dad didn't write his obit but he gave his pastor some notes, things he wanted included in it.  He died from cancer, so he knew the end was coming.  It's not something I would do, sure I'm going to die someday just like everyone else.  But I'm not going to prepare for it and there will be no rehearsal.

Long Beach Island?  Just a guess.

@deepwaterdotter

Correct!  Since naming real names is frowned upon here.  One can say "youngest," "oldest," but two middle daughters are hard to find a nickname for.  This daughter lives on LBI.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

@LilacTree, I applauded you when you disclosed that you are seeking therapy....how about bringing this issue with your therapist???I see it as a springboard in the therapy arena.

I think the idea in and of itself is a good one I think.....

Poodlepet2