Honored Contributor

Re: Writing your own obituary

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

When my parents died I wrote just the facts - family etc. I never really understand the reason for writing some big long deal about their life. Those who know them already knew about their life and those who didn't know them wouldn't care. 

Yes, I know that's true for you, but other people are totally different. Many things about my Mom people didn't know and were happy to find out. Only one thing I will share. In college she was the only female on the men's tennis team. This was in the 40's. 

Respected Contributor

I find nothing wrong with it.  It probably helps family members at that time.

My dad has already written his, and I would follow it to the letter. 

I don't want a wake or anything.  Still deciding on burial or cremation!!

Hyacinth

Valued Contributor

Anyone fortunate enough to have preserved family records from the early1900's or earlier, know it was a very common practice for an obit to cover an entire page or two-literally biographies of entire lives, family histories, family trees, education and accomplishments -with a great deal of historical value--

To each his own-no one needs to understand the choices of another-but obituaries have value-even if only for those who wish to have them.

Honored Contributor

I'm nosey so I do like to read the obits, but I find a lot of them to be pretentious,or like your last 5 minutes of fame. I don't think a life well lived has to be sent off with yourself or loved ones letting the readers know what a great person you were and your many accomplishments. When I die I don't want any info given other than that and my family knows that.

Esteemed Contributor

@granny me wrote:

My husband and I will have no obit, no funeral, no fanfare whatsoever. We have one daughter and no other family; we are private people. We will be creamated and whomever goes first will go with daughter to scatter ashes and grieve in private. 

My mom wanted a marching band, parade and a line as long as the eye could see behind her hearse we used to joke we would hire to people. Smiley LOL Dad was a police officer and had a military funeral, there were so many people, people we  didn't even know. It was just too much for me. But everyone is different.

Your family may need permission to scatter ashes. Please check your community. 

Honored Contributor

@silentgirl wrote:

Anyone fortunate enough to have preserved family records from the early1900's or earlier, know it was a very common practice for an obit to cover an entire page or two-literally biographies of entire lives, family histories, family trees, education and accomplishments -with a great deal of historical value--

To each his own-no one needs to understand the choices of another-but obituaries have value-even if only for those who wish to have them.

on one side of my family i am a first born american.

on the other side of my family i have never seen those types of obituaries in newspapers from that period of time. that is not to say though that other items, photos, stories, and written pages have not been passed down or shared.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

What is an LBI daughter?  My dad didn't write his obit but he gave his pastor some notes, things he wanted included in it.  He died from cancer, so he knew the end was coming.  It's not something I would do, sure I'm going to die someday just like everyone else.  But I'm not going to prepare for it and there will be no rehearsal.

Respected Contributor

My Mother is ill and recently wrote her own. My sister wasn't too thrilled with some of it. I say let it be, it's her last words and I won't have it edited when that time comes.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

What is an LBI daughter?  My dad didn't write his obit but he gave his pastor some notes, things he wanted included in it.  He died from cancer, so he knew the end was coming.  It's not something I would do, sure I'm going to die someday just like everyone else.  But I'm not going to prepare for it and there will be no rehearsal.

Long Beach Island?  Just a guess.

Honored Contributor

@violann...a few years ago our local paper started charging for obits.  That charge made some  people think about how many inches they wanted to pay for to get the information in the paper.

Some obits are really long, naming everyone and everything the deceased accomplished in their life, others are short...name, age, date of death and those that are related to the deceased.  Me...I don't want much, and I certainly do not want a service in the church, I want a short private service at the cemetery...some of my friends don't understand...