Respected Contributor

Re: Would you move into a house where a murder/suicide

No, It would be on my mind. I believe in spirits so I would always be afraid of seeing something or hearing things. Especially at night. Smiley surprised 027.gif

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Geez, I ask myself - How many towns, cities, tract homes are built over battle sites from the past where more than three died?  Even the cave man had battles between clans and tribes.  How many died on land you presently live on?  Knowing about a tragedy only lets you know a medium will need to be called in to cleanse and bless the house.  Once the spirits are passed over, it's good to go. 

Many of you already live on cursed land. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Regular Contributor

YES I would.  I'm a ghost hunter, so it wouldn't scare me. 

Honored Contributor

I absoluely could not. I would be afraid....However there are many people that that kind of thing does not bother,  but if you do decide to buy it, Have your minister come bless every room! 

Honored Contributor

@Annamarie wrote:

occured? It was about 15 years ago. A father shot his 2 young children and then killed himself...... True story. My dh is considering this because the price is low due to the work required to make improvements.Any comments appreciated!

No. You couldn't pay me to live in a home where children were murdered.

Super Contributor

Yes. 

I love older homes, and they most likely have had deaths occur in them. 

MANY homes, new and old, have had horrific thing happen in them, or as Loves Roses pointed out, the land itself could have been host to a tragedy (or forgotten graves).

People are assaulted in homes, children are molested in bedrooms, terrible fights and bad feelings occur. Where there are people, there are events, good and bad.

I choose to make any home I'm in as happy as I can. 

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Not if I knew it beforehand. 

When we bought our current home, we had been touring various homes while we visited from out of town over numerous weekends.  Didn't really know anything about the neighborhood or previous homeowners, only that the house had been empty for 1 1/2 years.  When we got to know the couple next door about a month after moving in, they told us that a woman had hung herself from the basement rafters of our home about 10 years before. 

Since we are not superstitious nor believe in ghosts, we are OK with our house's past.  But that may explain why the house had sat empty for so long and why we were able to negotiate a very affordable price.         

@deepwaterdotter

How strange ..... I thought the realtor is legally obligated to inform you of any "irregular" history with a home.  If they don't it could invalidate the contract.

Respected Contributor

Nope.  A house should make you feel warm and welcoming. By knowing such a thing occured, it make people feel uneasy.

Esteemed Contributor

@PenneyT wrote:

Yes. 

MANY homes, new and old, have had horrific thing happen in them, or as Loves Roses pointed out, the land itself could have been host to a tragedy (or forgotten graves).

People are assaulted in homes, children are molested in bedrooms, terrible fights and bad feelings occur. Where there are people, there are events, good and bad.

True, many disturbing things happen behind closed doors to adults, children, and animals. 

Like I wrote, the land many cities, towns, and homes are built have been cursed by Native Americans.  That should bother folks, not just murder/suicides. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@PenneyT wrote:

Yes. 

True, many disturbing things happen behind closed doors to adults, children, and animals. 

Like I wrote, the land many cities, towns, and homes are built have been cursed by Native Americans.  That should bother folks, not just murder/suicides. 

Well be that as it may it is matter of whose mystical faith you believe in and respect.  I have always felt it but never anything bad. Its always been a comforting enery and a sense of protection. That may be from my own ancestors who are watching over us. I know where I live the land around me and where my home sits a lot of Indians as well as revolutionary war soliders etc passed through. My town was named for the place that Indians went through and relaxed in while making their way down to the Jersey shore. So while we have a ton of history and notable sites. You can feel the overwhelmning sense of souls and history if you are sensitive to it. 

And yes Washington not only slept here we have many homes that were key to hiding notable revolutionary heros as well as slaves making their way to freedom.