Honored Contributor

Only if it appeared on the registry.

Respected Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

Would you buy this tsv ladder to give as a wedding gift?!  That's what the host just suggested!  I've never seen a ladder on a wedding registry!! But maybe I live under a rock.......

Maybe If the Bride was on Little Women LA ...

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Trusted Contributor

if it was the wedding of someone i knew well, i definitely would. i love giving and receiving practical gifts. who doesn't need a ladder, especially if you're a homeowner. 

Respected Contributor

No, I wouldn't give a ladder as a wedding gift.

I think that's something you buy for yourself when and if you need it. 

Honored Contributor

Sure......I'd get one for the bride, and one for the groom ($5 off maybe?)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Housewarming gift, yes.  Wedding gift, no.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Would You.....

[ Edited ]

I think a very sturdy step ladder is a wonderful gift.  However, I have had the TSV (bought it from Costco) for quite a few years and hardly ever use it.  While it is very sturdy, it is also extremely heavy.  Unless there is a place where it can be left open and out of the way or someone is home to always get it out and open it, I would look for another step ladder.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Yes.  Times have changed, and gifts can be less formal for weddings.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

That's not something I would think about, but depending on the couple I think it would make a good gift.

Thinking about wedding showers and gifts, most I have been to have been pretty much geared towards the brides. The groom might really like it.

Honored Contributor

I guess it would depend on my relationship with the couple. Someone I didn't know very well, probably not, I'd stick to their registry.

But I think we all know that when young or doing something for the first time (getting married, first apartment, buying a first home, first child coming) we often don't even think of things that we could use or will need. We simply don't have the experience and can easily get caught up in what we think we want and not even realize some things we will need. For me it is usually baby showers, and I know the TONS of clothing they will get, and the babies will outgrow in just a few months. I usually opt to start the baby a library of books. I get a pretty basket and fill it with 20 or so books, some geared for infants and toddlers, and some for slightly older. This is rarely on the registry, but has been very well received.

So sometimes, when I know the situation well, and I look at the registry and know something about how many people will be buying and how much repeat stuff these 'new' (fill in the blank) will be getting, I step outside the box and do something different like this. In my experience it has always been something they never considered needing, and it has always been well received. 

So yes, I think that is a great sales move by the host, and I'm sure a few newly married couples will get something really useful like this, and they don't even know they need it yet!