Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel, Just thinking of you the other day, I wanted to stop by and say HI!!

@qualitygal

Thanks, QualityGal!!  I was hibernating for a little while again, but I come out every now and then.

Image result for yawning squirrel

Smiley Happy

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Would You.....

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

It would really depend on the person.  Generally no, I wouldn't. But if it was a close friend or relative and they said they wanted it, then yes.

It really does depend on the couple.

Some people would not appreciate a ladder as a gift, and others would think it's awesome.

Personally, I like to get people practical gifts for occasions like a wedding or baby shower, because I know how unpleasant it is to have to spend your money on necessities like that.  If I buy them the boring stuff, it frees up some of their own money for them to spend on fun stuff.  

Reminds me of when my mom was upset that my sister-in-law didn't seem appreciative enough of the fact that my mom bought pretty much all of the clothing my niece could ever use during her infancy.  I explained to her that part of the fun of having a baby girl is shopping for the cute clothes.  When you have a lot of clothes and can't justify buying any more, you spend your money on diapers and stuff like that.  Who wants to do that?  I'd rather have people bring me a bunch of diapers so that I can buy what I think is cute for my new baby.

Of course, that is just my point of view.  Other people feel differently and are disappointed when they receive practical items as gifts.

Respected Contributor

Depends on what you think the couple would probably want. Might be much appreciated.

Honored Contributor

@mistriTsquirrel, squirrels have never hibernated in my neck of the woods so get your butt back out here on these boards.

Esteemed Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel, squirrels have never hibernated in my neck of the woods so get your butt back out here on these boards.

@AuntG

I'm a rare midwestern sleeping squirrel...you probably just haven't heard of me...

Image result for sleeping squirrel

heh

Esteemed Contributor

Well, I'm clearly in the minority, but I would not be happy receiving a ladder as a wedding gift.  And I would never give one either.  What if they already had one?  Or received one they liked better?  Or had their eye on a specific one they wanted to buy for themselves? It would be a pain to return.  And they might not even want one in the first place.  (I've lived many years without owning a ladder, no problem at all!)

A toolbox and other practical gifts are different, IMO.