Honored Contributor

Re: Wondering if it is worth it for me?

I can certainly understand your wanting to get back on the ice BUT I cannot understand you thinking about going to skate while you are healing from a broken rib after having, what, 3 falls already since you put your skates back on after all that time?  That's CRAZY.

I think the thing to do would be to stay off the ice (for now!(, heal, and find a good sports physiology person, trainer, coach, whoever you can find who is educated and capable of evaluating your strength, mobility, and balance.  Then follow their recommendations for proper exercise to get you where you need to be to even attempt skating again.

I have worked as a trainer for several years part-time (as I had another full time gig) but am now studying for a senior fitness certification because I want to specialize.  A huge issue for seniors is balance, which you have become painfully aware of.  You are risking a lot by getting out there again before you have gotten on a program to restore your balance.  

As someone who isn't as young as I used to be (haha, who is?) I understand your desire to do what you love. 

Please find someone who can help you get to where you need to be in order to do what you want to do.

Best to you and Cindy and your furry kids!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dear John ( . . . "oh how I hate to write" . . . sorry, I couldn't resist). LOL

Reality is that aging is tragic, and I don't necessarily mean you know your days are numbered.  I mean the constant losses, usually every year, one can look back at something they can no longer do.  It's worse for those with health issues as you have, and autoimmune diseases that I have, which pick away at everything the body used to do without a thought.  I received the convection oven I bought from the Q.  It sits in the hallway now for four days, as I can't open the box.  I have to wait until someone can unwrap it for me.  Maybe this weekend.

It started years ago, as I am now 79 . . . used to have beautiful hand writing, now I can't even print.  Thankfully I can still type, but so much slower and always having to deliberately plant my fingers on my right hand on the keys because they no longer automatically go there.  (When that goes, I will really hit bottom).

I used to roller skate, my sister and I were really good.  I could still do it in my 40s and 50s, but that is certainly gone now since I can't even stand up for five minutes without back pain.  I used to ride my bike every day.  I've lost at least 50% hearing in my left ear, I can't bend over, twist, or reach, I can't pick up more than a half gallon of anything and that has to be with both hands and from a countertop.  I have to prepare myself to swallow or I will choke.  I can't make my bed, I have to sit in the shower, I can't slice anything, so I can't cook,  I can't make my bed, or vacuum.  I am used to the constant bruising, pain, UTIs, gastric issues, itching, sore scalp, dropping and breaking things.

I took myself off the road five years ago.  My daughter now drives the car I had just bought before I realized I had lost not only the physical ability to drive, but my sense of distance (turning too soon, or too late). I don't want to kill myself or anyone else.

Yet I feel lucky because I can still type, I can still type, I can still type.  I am still good mentally, not always emotionally.  You are still good mentally, but you yearn for the thing you loved most (other than your wife and your pets) and that is being on the ice, that exhilarating feeling of hardly meeting the ground as you glide across it, the satisfaction of running a team and when they won . . . such a rush!! 

Getting (Being) old is tragic and I consider us both lucky because we are still here.  So many of my loved ones and companions, friends, much younger than I, are already gone. 

So we have to make the most of what we still have, because we may not have it next year.  It all goes very fast at this stage of life. 

Your post brought all of this out in me, because you have never been one to complain.  You've been through so much, showing the strength of character that you obviously have.  Both of us (and many others here) have to be grateful every day for what we do have because there's no "up" from here, there is just acceptance.

Hang in there, John.  And be careful.  (((Hugs))) ~Ford

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

John, you are such a nut!   Smiley Wink

I don't blame you at all for wanting to get back on the ice.  Just wondering...aren't there pads or padded clothing you can wear to protect your bod?  

Your skating days may be coming to an end, but maybe there is something else age-appropriately-athletic that is worth pursuing.

Sometimes, you just have to...

...and walk away with a heart full of thankfulness for what was, and a mind full of great expectations of what is yet to come (maybe you can invent a more stable skate for us older folks!).  I wish you well.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Respected Contributor

Sorry to hear about your injury.  I took a nasty fall two months ago in my driveway and suffered a severe concussion.  I am just now feeling better.  It has made me more cautious but I am still working out and staying strong.  I know you will to - good luck!

Honored Contributor

@hckynut    Hey!   If George "HW" You Know Who can go skydiving at 90..............YOU can do anything you want to!   Best Wishes for a speedy recovery, di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutI wouldn't necessarily say to hang up the skates, but during some of your rehab time, I would be addressing this balance issue.  Something is definitely going on with yours.  If you could resolve that, you may have an answer to getting back out on that ice. 

Also, I would also look beyond Big Pharma for pain relief.  There are many alternative anti-inflammatory options available.  In the meantime, I would taking Arnica Montana, both oral and as an ointment. 

Take care, John.  I admire your tenacity......just don't let it get you into permanent, physical trouble......

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut

This is really hard for you, I know.  I was a major walker, swimmer until a few years ago when I had a TKN.  Of course my walking / swimming were not in the level of your skating!

But, YOU love skating, could some PT help you?  (as others have mentioned).  OR, would it be meaningful to you to skate even if you had to hold on to the rail & wear a helmet?  Sometimes the skills don't come back the way they WERE, but we can still enjoy the way they ARE.

Have done the 'rib thing' a few times OUCH!  Take care of it.

I wish all the best to you, Cindy, and the furry babies.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

I think your wife knows you well. Don't go Friday, or any other day. It would be a dumb move and its not worth the risk. Time to retire the skates. Good luck.
Honored Contributor

John I just read a thread on a bone site ,about people with total knee and hip replacement, still skating

They said they needed to learn to skate smarter, and not harder

It's not like you to be so indecisive ,about something so important to you.  Are you afraid to keep skating? 

In the long run it only matters what you ,and your wife ,and Dr decide is best for you

Is there anything else you might like to do ,such as a water sport?

Honored Contributor

Work on getting your balance back before you try skating again. Try walking around your house in skates with guards on. When that is easy, return to the ice.