Honored Contributor

Wondering about how fast stage 6 alzheimers advances?

I have noticed recently she seems not to walk normally, but has began to shuffle slowly instead of picking up her feet

Today I asked her if she knew who I was and she just stared at me..When I mentioned my name ,she did give me my middle name, so I know on some level she understood, but I am not sure she actually knew me

I asked if she knew my husbands name ,and she did give me the right name, but she seemed a million miles away...and I noticed how thin her limbs are becoming..I know she gets good food, and as much as she will eat....they also give her things like ensure to supplement her diet

I think mom is in stage 6. but she still is able to take care of her toilet needs....It is so hard to know that she may have so little time left to be able to talk and to walk, not that she does much of either

I am wondering if there is any indication how fast this disease advances? I suppose not. but am hoping for some input for other people on their situation ,and how fast the last stage comes

Mom seems so much like a child to me know, trusting and depending on others ..It breaks my heart every time I leave her..I must say she is always clean, and her clothes are clean, they paint her nails, and are kind to her

My mother particularly likes one of the women ,and calls her mama and hugs her..I know she is given good care, and kindness

I wouldn't wish this terrible disease on anyone