Esteemed Contributor

Please  share your thoughts and praises for America's women whether historically speaking or for the good works they continue do for the sake of others.

The tireless factory workers, the women who took care of our wounded men; the women who created and worked the almshouses; the women who stood up for better pay; the women who took care of theirs and other children.  The women behind many great leaders.  The Wonderful leaders that they are themselves.

Here's to Dame Liz Taylor for being on the forefront of AIDS care 

Here's to Diana Princess of Wales, for Humanitarian work (worldwide)

Here's to Harriet Tubman who continued the Underground Railroad leading women and men out of slavery

Here's to Bella Abzug and Liz Abzug for their tireless work on behalf of women's rights

Here's to Clara Barton, 

Here's to Mary McLeod Bethune

Here's to SoJourner Truth

*Call Tyrone*
Trusted Contributor

Re: Women's History Month!!!

This is a great topic.  My list to thank would include unsung women who are a part of our lives: mothers, grandmothers, aunts, sisters, cousins, friends, and neighbors.

My famous women would include Coretta Scott King, Shirley Chisolm, Viola Luizzo, Gov. Ann Richards, Miss Ella Baker, Mrs. Rosa Parks, Mamie Till Mobley, H. R. Clinton, Michelle Obama, the Nuns of the Bus, Cecily Tyson, the women depicted in Hidden Figures, Barbara Jordan, Helen Keller, the pediatrician that helped expose the lead poisoning in Flint, MI and Flint Michigan's mayor, and so many others.

Respected Contributor

Mother Teresa

Do things for people..                                                                                                                                                      More:

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's to the women who broke barriers for me.  I can't thank them all as I don't know them all.  Some of them are famous and some are not.  

I heard a phrase today that I want to remember.  I have to hold the ladder down and not allow it to be pulled up behind me. 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Here's to Maybel McKay - an activist before the current times.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

@Zernia Rose, YOU are ON POINT!!!

Thank you for sharing.....

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@rrpell wrote:

Here's to the women who broke barriers for me.  I can't thank them all as I don't know them all.  Some of them are famous and some are not.  

I heard a phrase today that I want to remember.  I have hold the ladder down and not allow it to be pulled up behind me. 

@rrpell, Yes indeed.  Those women who fought for our right to vote and be heard!  So many it's hard to add them all.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Here's to San Francisco's lesbian community in the 1980s and 1990s who stepped up when most others did not.  They organized and rushed in to take care of the men suffering from AIDS.  They cooked and brought them meals, hand-fed them many times, fed and walked their dogs and took care of their cats.  They gave them their medications and sat by their side reading to them.  They held their hands as they died.

They were heroes when most people were afraid to go near the patients.

Esteemed Contributor

I took Woman's History in college and my professor showed pictures about the Suffrage movement and signaling out a couple of women in particular.  This was not a Hollywood movie, but film he had from family.  He then had my friend and I go to the head of class and hold a big banner from the Suffrage movement and explain that it belonged to his Grandmother that was in the movement.  The two women he pointed out in the pictures he posted up on the screen were of his Grandmother and Mother.  The reason he did this was he got news that day, his Mother had passed and he was honoring both women.  He was flying to New York that evening for his Mothers funeral.  It was very moving and needless to say lot of tears and a standing ovation for his Grandmother.

I would like to thank many women, who stood up and fought for what they believed in, including myself, but most of all Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony for giving women the rights among other things for passing the law  that when a man divorced his wife, she didn,t continue to be discarded with just the clothes on her back and no other rights, as the case was way back then. She did not even have rights to her children, nothing.  These two women fought for women to have rights in this case and got that law inforced.  I saw this documentary on PBS.  Very interesting.

Respected Contributor

One of our large school counties had a walk out by women teachers ok'd by the supervisor.  Guess who will be subbing those classes?  Women!  How does that exactly help the cause?