Valued Contributor

I was just sitting here thinking about my experiences and wonder how anyone else feels about women who treat other women badly. I'm talking not just gossip about other women in an office setting, but downright sabotage and other bad behavior they exhibit towards their fellow female coworkers. Why is it so rampant these days and why are they allowed to continue their behavior? I know most would say it stems from jealousy or insecurities. I was thinking about the job I took a few months ago and knew right away I was in trouble with these two women. It was a very small office with no office manager and I became their target. Even though I was new, from the first day their nasty tone came out when they spoke, they didn't want to show me anything and, more importantly, one of them even tried to make me make a mistake which I pointed out to her. Then the whispering started and noticed a thing or two missing from my desk. One day, I was trying to get something done and decided to work through lunch. One of them got so angy and asked why I was still working and that I should go to lunch. I couldn't believe this was happening since I was new. Anyway, I knew in my gut that this was not going to be a good fit and to cut my losses now. I had a feeling that this place had it's share of problems in the past and that one of these women (who has been there forever) was the main problem. As I look for a new job, I can't help but fear this is like this everywhere, but I hope not.