Respected Contributor

We had this book for my sons and for my classroom.  I am always sad about parents complaining about it.  there are a lot of assumptions made by people.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/williams-doll-charlotte-zolotow/1100058344 

Esteemed Contributor

I  haven't read the book....but  I get that its about a boy wanting a doll.....

When my sibblings....sister and brother...were young...and they were just months apart in age....whatever one got as a gift...my mom had to buy the exact thing for the other....

I remember one year my sister got a huge doll....and so did my brother...my dad or anyone else didn't find it odd..thankfully....

I married a man who had issues with that topic....fortunately we only had sons....

Of course..as my brother grew older...he no longer wanted dolls...lol... he went into the Army...and later became a police officer ....in Detroit...and now a wonderful retired grandpa to five grandchilddren....

Respected Contributor

I wonder if it's mostly Daddies.  Some are stuck in a stigma.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

My oldest son (when he was really little up to about 6) LOVED purses... especially ones with long straps so he could wear them cross body.  He would cram them with MatchBox cars, Leggos, Transformers and whatever other stuff he considered valuable .... And he'd wear one where ever we went LOL.... DH and I (and the Grandparents) had no problem with it at all although there were a few stares....  Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

I heard about this book on an "All In the Family" rerun.  Gloria mentioned it, because she gave little Joey a doll.  Archie was appalled, of course.  Gloria was a modern Mommy.

Honored Contributor

@LyndaGee wrote:

I heard about this book on an "All In the Family" rerun.  Gloria mentioned it, because she gave little Joey a doll.  Archie was appalled, of course.  Gloria was a modern Mommy.

a bit off topic but does anyone remember that they actually made a JOEY doll? .......anatomically correct......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqYTUjRNjH4

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

When my niece/God daughter was little, she played with dolls and also fell in love with Masters of the Universe.  The kid loved He-Man and She-Ra.  So, of course, I went all in and bought her a Castle Grayskull, He-Man stuff, She-Ra stuff, Skeletor Stuff, you name it.

So, you would think that having She-Ra as a strong female figure would not be an issue.

One day my brother in law tells her, that stuff is for boys, you shouldn't be playing with it and there went my money.  I think my sister ended up selling all of the stuff at a garage sale.

Suffice it to say, I was livid that my brother in law did that.  Mind you, he took the kid fishing (which I consider a more masculine thing - don't have a fit - I have a hard time killing even a fish).

I often wonder if he was mad because I could afford the merchandising and he couldn't.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

Both of my sons had dolls. No biggie. If that is what they wanted that is what they had if I could afford it.

One son was fascinated by vacuum cleaners and even had a toy one. 

Playing or not playing with toys will not determine sexuality. It is sad that some parents think that.

Honored Contributor

This subject is related to one from the other day where several of us were happy that Target willingly decided to no longer label toys by gender.

Saying certain toys are for boys or girls limits the choices for children and is fuel for the bullies.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

I'm happy that so many people are open-minded.   I think that trying to force your children to be who YOU think they should be does nothing but cause damage.  Let them be who they are and they won't grow up with shame and confusion.   

If a child does turn out to be trans or gay, or anything some may consider outside the norm, then so be it.   Love them all the way, without judgment.   Don't make them feel badly about who they are.  Smiley Happy