Esteemed Contributor

Re: WhyYouShouldCare: Major Changes in Medical Billing

Some medical,professionals even contract out the coding task to a third party company thus leaving still another place for errors.  As someone once said it is easy to run a successful business when everything works as it should but the true test of how good a company serves its customers is when things go wrong.  If most of you have never had a problem that's great but when things are handled incorrectly it is indeed hellish.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There's a toll free number to call at HMO's, insurance, or whatever when something is mistakenly reported ( such as meds) to Medicare.  Some docs forget to cancel meds that we aren't taking.  Check those summary forms that you get from your insurance/medicare/HMO/whatever else.  Make sure that you have received everything listed.  If not, call the number that is stated on your summary of office visits, labs, meds, procedures, etc.  Have had lots of experience and phone calls helping neighbors/relatives. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

All I can say is that whenever there has been a billing error for a service, it has always been due to the physicians billing office. Every. Single. Time. Then, I've had to deal with the attitude of said billing office because ohm they are never wrong or the doctor s at fault. Really? Ok, let me check that out with the doctor.

I have yet to have a doctor say they were wrong, either.

I also carry a copy of what my insurance covers when it comes to services that many carriers don't cover (for whatever reason). When I'm told "Oh, your insurance won't cover that, no ones does", I just hand them the coy and watch their eyes get big.

Folks, it;s YOUR health and money. Know what is what and demand what YOU are PAYING for.

Honored Contributor

Yes, it's also tax payers' money.  Why should Medicare pay for meds/procedures/whatever that folks haven't received.  Check those itemized summaries.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Omg this is ridiculous! More bureaucratic BS to further bog down the system. This isn't necessary. What are they going to do with the additional info?  They already can't oversee and manage the fraud going on now and it's much simpler. Who's going to pay for managing all this as well as educating users?  Lord help us all. 

Respected Contributor

I heard about this the other day.....just another way for the insurance companies to rip us off.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Trusted Contributor

The Most Interesting Man in the World meme

Trusted Contributor

Honored Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

.Best be careful what you wish for.  All it takes in the Medicare system is a one digit error in entering one of these code numbers to descend into Medicare hell.  A coding error can cause a claim that should be paid to not be approved and believe me tracking the error down and getting it corrected is very difficult and sends the Medicare system into a tailspin.  Patients and their families do not have access to these numbers and thus are not even aware that a claim was miscoded and thus denied.  The addition of these codes will substantially increase the possibility of errors being made.  Welcome to the hellish world of Medicare.

Hellish?The general public prefers Medicare over any other form of insurance and polls show satisfaction.

Miscoding has more to do with providers than it does with the insurer.

I can hardly wait to be 65 and tossed into Medicare hell😀

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the interesting posts

everybody!  I guess the codes are 

here so the best we can do is be aware.

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••