Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why so many cancer ads on television?

Cancer is a cash cow, so many are vying for your dollars.  As we are supposed to be living longer, the price is cancer as our many organs age and wear out.  Doesn't help that many played roulette with their health and immune systems by engaging in certain bad habits. 

I agree that the whole drug ad, cancer ads, and attorney who will represnts you ads are too much.  However, they do pay for the air time so they pummel you with their sales pitches.  Fear is quite easily bought into and sold in America. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

I think that no other country is allowed to present ads for drugs and cancer hospitals that exist to treat cancer patients for profit. It is outrageous and disgusting. Those cancer treatment centers make it sound like they provide care unavailable elsewhere. That is an outright lie. They prey upon desperate people who are unaware of their options. It enrages me!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde Many profit from ineffective methods.  Here and abroad.  Here, I knew a woman whose dr. waited until it was too late to treat her effectively.  He milked her insurance for every penny and then soaked them for what he could get from her terminal illness.  He took all he could because he played God and she was his cash cow. 

Now the foreign methods are all quackery to me. 

Honored Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

I think that no other country is allowed to present ads for drugs and cancer hospitals that exist to treat cancer patients for profit. It is outrageous and disgusting. Those cancer treatment centers make it sound like they provide care unavailable elsewhere. That is an outright lie. They prey upon desperate people who are unaware of their options. It enrages me!

The least of what they do is offer non-medical treatments, often *in place of*, rather than in addition to, chemo or radiation, and refuse to see any patient with a likely outcome that would lower their statistically manipulated "success rate."

My feeling is, if you want people patting you on the head with one hand while stealing you blind with the other, and you're ready to die, go to CTCA.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@NanaLinda wrote:

I've noticed for a while now that I can't watch any show, on any channel, without seeing numerous ads advertising cancer treatment or treatment centers.  I know a lot of people are going through treatments and I feel for them, but I think they should scale back on the ads. What are your feelings on this?

what you are seeing is the fallout of the FDA's stance of, "for the greater good" when it comes to any medication/research on a medication and/or medical protocol.

It's known that there will be people that will have an adverse reaction/outcome to some of the drugs they approve, they just don't make it public because of their position of "for the greater good".......................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Esteemed Contributor

I might add that when I was diagnosed, my Oncologist was very honest with me. He said 'No Guarantees and anyone who guarantees you a cure, RUN!" 

We can only TREAT cancers.  I asked him about the varous ways that many offer, and he had this to say.  Love Roses, lots of folks go to unconventional means and to foreign clinics, etc.  After they are out thousands of dollars, they return here to the states for the last stages which will lead to their death.  Then of course, people blame the dr.s here for the treatments that they wrongly think contributed to their loved ones death.  No, it was the other treatments that never addressed the cancer. 

Honored Contributor

Cancer patients are turnng to for profit cancer centers.  Mostly out of desperation.  Cancer used to be hospital care...now it's a cottage industry.  These cancer outfits are successful because of different success or lack of success for each person that has cancer. They play up the success story.  Never the bad ones.  No outcome is the same for each person.  For every winner....there is sure a sure death for the other.

Honored Contributor

@NanaLinda wrote:

I've noticed for a while now that I can't watch any show, on any channel, without seeing numerous ads advertising cancer treatment or treatment centers.  I know a lot of people are going through treatments and I feel for them, but I think they should scale back on the ads. What are your feelings on this?

I hate them with a passion.  I turn them and all pharmaceutical commercials off immediately.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

When those ads come on, especially regarding children with cancer, I just hit the mute botton and close my eyes because it makes me so sad that that is happening!  I would never complain to the networks because it probably is helping with money for the cause!  I have had family members with cancer and I always wonder how the ads affect them!  Maybe they don't mind! I just say a little prayer for them all!