Super Contributor

Why so many cancer ads on television?

I've noticed for a while now that I can't watch any show, on any channel, without seeing numerous ads advertising cancer treatment or treatment centers.  I know a lot of people are going through treatments and I feel for them, but I think they should scale back on the ads. What are your feelings on this?

Honored Contributor

Re: Why so many cancer ads on television?

Looks like they have chosen to spend their advertising dollars with stations that you choose to view.

Honored Contributor

It isn't just cancer ads but all the drug ads with their numerous and, frankly, frightful side effects! I am so sick of them all but that seems to be all that is on now. It can really make one paranoid and anxious, especially if you take any of the meds mentioned.  My hubby and I talk about this all the time and always wondered if we were the only ones that were bothered by all the medicine and cancer ads. We just mute them all now. Ugh

Honored Contributor

Probably because so many people have cancer and our medical industry is largely for-profit.  There's a lot of money to be made!!!

Honored Contributor

And also the ads from lawyers for class action lawsuits against these drugs. First you see an ad for the drug, next is an ad for a lawsuit against it.

Valued Contributor

I agree that there are way too many of these ads, as well as prescription medication ads, followed by class action lawsuit ads

Its enough. Doctors don't need their patients going in demanding the latest advertised drug. Often times these drugs are exhorbitantly priced! Often times a class action lawsuit is to follow about same drug.

My dear aunt has cancer and I cringe every time these cancer ads start. Why should she have to be bombarded with this stuff when she is looking for a day or evening of mindless entertainment? If one has cancer, one can certainly research treatment options without having to be shoved in that direction by the television. 

Honored Contributor

OP, I'm not sure who it is that you want to "scale back". The networks?   I really doubt any network will turn down advertising dollars, and the treatment centers must be getting a lot of referrals with those ads, or they wouldn't run them.   

I always record my shows and when I play them back, I FF through the commercials, so I rarely, if ever, see them.  

Here's another consideration ......  statistics say 1 in every 3 Americans will have some sort of cancer in their lifetime.  Take some hypothetical person who just got the diagnosis .... they have a lot of decisions to make and those commercials will come to mind.  

Respected Contributor

Cancer Treatment Centers is for-profit. notice they are now "supporting" programs on PBS.  

there have been several instances of misleading claims addressed by the FTC and FDA warnings about CTCA survival rate claims

Honored Contributor

Don't know statistics for the general public, but with all the other mish mash they have on commercials, this is one that helps people a lot. I know the statistics in my family, and just because I don't need them today, this minute, in the very next minute, I could. So I am for any one of those they want to put up there. JMHO

Honored Contributor

Because cancer equals MONEY$$$$$$$. Period.