Esteemed Contributor

Why just keep complaining? DO Something!

I posted this on another thread in Qtalk, but I decided to put it out here separately.  There are so many complaint threads, I thought I would start one with a different "take" on it.

Since many posters here apparently don't want the boards to be so boring and "dead", I'll take the risk of presenting a differing opinion here and see what happens.  

So many talk about how the moderators have so adversely affected the boards, how so many posters have chosen to leave, how boring and "vanilla" everything is, no interesting discussions (I interpret some of the comments as wanting "contentious" discussions, not "interesting"), but I noticed one glaring oddity... most of those who are doing all this complaining on all these threads seldom if ever start a thread of their own... they leave it to everyone else.  Why not choose a topic you might find interesting, post a comment, and see what happens?  If it's at least kept halfway civil, and religion and politics are kept out of it, it might surprise you.  

It may be ridiculous to many, but I laughed more yesterday than I have in weeks, over a silly thread that wound up being about VEGETABLES (mostly)and BUGS!  There are a lot of posters here who happen to have a great sense of humor -- and many of them used it yesterday.  So sometimes it's all in what you make it.  Start threads, participate in some you might not normally participate in, shake it up a little, and maybe you won't find it so boring.  Don't leave it to everyone else to "entertain" you.

I realize that being derisive and disparaging other posters, moderators, the board format, etc. etc. may be more "interesting" to some, and you may think those who choose to stay will be so "boring"  that you wouldn't be able to stand it.  But I'm finding that meeting new posters (or ones who have had to change their nics and I don't know who they "were"), seeing the humorous side of things, and yes, actually having some very interesting and somewhat "contentious" discussions has had me here on the boards even more lately.  

The first few days of this new board had me ready to leave, for different reasons... I just didn't think I had the energy to learn how to navigate and feel comfortable with it.  But I stuck it out, and now it's okay - it has a few kinks, but they seem to be trying to work those out.  

If people spent more time here, instead of zipping in and out and then coming back to complain about how boring it is, you might see some of what's actually been going on.  Yes, a lot of it has been deleted when it wound up going completely off the rails, but for the most part, I think the moderators have done the best job they can in view of the variety of personalities here.  

As I've said before, my opinion is neither right or wrong, it just is what it is....

Trusted Contributor

Re: Why just keep complaining? DO Something!

You expressed that so well and very diplomatically. 

Honored Contributor

@kittymomNC wrote:

I posted this on another thread in Qtalk, but I decided to put it out here separately.  There are so many complaint threads, I thought I would start one with a different "take" on it.

Since many posters here apparently don't want the boards to be so boring and "dead", I'll take the risk of presenting a differing opinion here and see what happens.  

So many talk about how the moderators have so adversely affected the boards, how so many posters have chosen to leave, how boring and "vanilla" everything is, no interesting discussions (I interpret some of the comments as wanting "contentious" discussions, not "interesting"), but I noticed one glaring oddity... most of those who are doing all this complaining on all these threads seldom if ever start a thread of their own... they leave it to everyone else.  Why not choose a topic you might find interesting, post a comment, and see what happens?  If it's at least kept halfway civil, and religion and politics are kept out of it, it might surprise you.  

It may be ridiculous to many, but I laughed more yesterday than I have in weeks, over a silly thread that wound up being about VEGETABLES (mostly)and BUGS!  There are a lot of posters here who happen to have a great sense of humor -- and many of them used it yesterday.  So sometimes it's all in what you make it.  Start threads, participate in some you might not normally participate in, shake it up a little, and maybe you won't find it so boring.  Don't leave it to everyone else to "entertain" you.

I realize that being derisive and disparaging other posters, moderators, the board format, etc. etc. may be more "interesting" to some, and you may think those who choose to stay will be so "boring"  that you wouldn't be able to stand it.  But I'm finding that meeting new posters (or ones who have had to change their nics and I don't know who they "were"), seeing the humorous side of things, and yes, actually having some very interesting and somewhat "contentious" discussions has had me here on the boards even more lately.  

The first few days of this new board had me ready to leave, for different reasons... I just didn't think I had the energy to learn how to navigate and feel comfortable with it.  But I stuck it out, and now it's okay - it has a few kinks, but they seem to be trying to work those out.  

If people spent more time here, instead of zipping in and out and then coming back to complain about how boring it is, you might see some of what's actually been going on.  Yes, a lot of it has been deleted when it wound up going completely off the rails, but for the most part, I think the moderators have done the best job they can in view of the variety of personalities here.  

As I've said before, my opinion is neither right or wrong, it just is what it is....

kittymom, very well said.  Thank you, hope it will enlighten some folks and they will enjoy being on the forums more.

Honored Contributor

Hey Kittymom!  Yeah, things were frustrating at first and some of us had a bit of a challenge getting with the program.

But it's two and a half weeks later - ENOUGH ALREADY with the whining threads at this point!  

I have to bite my tongue to just pass by the many, many threads whining about this or that and just SMH that people take it to such a degree.  I just hope people don't ever encounter any REAL challenges in life because I fear that their heads might explode.

For a long time now, there has been at least one weekly thread in the Q Does What forum complaining about every freaking thing that they show on QVC.    I mean, at what point does one decide to watch something else for a while?  Just like here -  If it is so horrid, why keep coming back?  Just to complain?  Get out of that loop already!

ok, rant over.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Complaining is doing something, so is refusing to buy anything from a company which is so arbitrary in their choice of what to remove and what to allow to stay; a company that treats it's customers as children and insults their intelligence.

Maybe you don't mind spending time starting a thread only to see it removed but I do. What's the point of getting a good discussion started when half  way through it's removed?

Last night several posts were removed, all were in accordance with Q guidelines, none contained religion, politics, or name calling. Still they were removed.

Maybe you find silly threads about nonsense entertaining and that's good for you but the thread that made me laugh was removed in less time than it takes to give it a heart.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

kittymomNC wrote:

So many talk about how the moderators have so adversely affected the boards, how so many posters have chosen to leave, how boring and "vanilla" everything is, no interesting discussions (I interpret some of the comments as wanting "cntentious" discussions, not "interesting"), but I noticed one glaring oddity... most of those who are doing all this complaining on all these threads seldom if ever start a thread of their own... they leave it to everyone else.  Why not choose a topic you might find interesting, post a comment, and see what happens?  If it's at least kept halfway civil, and religion and politics are kept out of it, it might surprise you.  

I expressed in great detail(who me ?) in another thread

sometime back how i feel about those that complain, but to those that cannot do anything about it. If I complain always try to do it to someone that has the authorithy go do something about it.

While i have never been one to start many threads, I also have never complained about the things you have mentioned in your thread. At the same time if there is something that bothers me, or I think is not right?  My method is almost always to pursue solutions regardless how much of my time it takes to do it.

Chronic complainers I tune out, here and in my real world, and believe me I have listened to many in my life time because of my knack of somehow getting myself in leadership positions.

I like your thread.

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Complaining is doing something, so is refusing to buy anything from a company which is so arbitrary in their choice of what to remove and what to allow to stay; a company that treats it's customers as children and insults their intelligence.

Maybe you don't mind spending time starting a thread only to see it removed but I do. What's the point of getting a good discussion started when half  way through it's removed?

Last night several posts were removed, all were in accordance with Q guidelines, none contained religion, politics, or name calling. Still they were removed.

Maybe you find silly threads about nonsense entertaining and that's good for you but the thread that made me laugh was removed in less time than it takes to give it a heart.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'll bet  that that wasn't the first post or thread you've posted on that was removed and it won't be the last.

Looks like you're putting a new C in QVC.... "complain".

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I guess it's what you make it.  

I do miss some conversations that were a little controversial.  With the current "hats thrown into the ring", if you know what I mean, I know I'll miss hearing opinions and thoughts of can di dates' positions on topics.

Wish there was a way for folks to post other places where they CAN discuss current events but it seems anyone who posts that, gets their stuff p oo fed.

I'd like to know where others go to discuss that kind of thing.

Honored Contributor

What is the name of the thread about vegetables and bugs?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did participate on the vegetable thread and I laughed quite a bit. I don't care what anyone says.  It was fun. 

Love your emoties that you used on that thread as well.

Good advice and good points kittymom!

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *