Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I cook just so I can eat.  It's not exactly a passion.

If I could eat out every day I WOULD.

I have many neighbors who don't cook anymore since they retired - they eat out 2 or 3 times a day - and it is showing on them - they are all gaining a lot of weight. Restaurant food tends to be very rich and high in things like butter, cream, sugar & salt.

If you order things high in butter, cream, sugar and salt. That's a choice. There are other things on the menu. And if that's all that's in the menu, there are choices of restaurants as well.

I agree. As I mentioned in my earlier post, my husband and I eat lunch out just about every day. I've lost 107 pounds (only 1 pound to go!) and eat in restaurants all the time. But.....I'm very strict with what I eat. If it's a restaurant we go to regularly, I know exactly what to order. If it's a restaurant we haven't been to before, I look at the menu online before we go to see what the choices are so I know going in what I'll order. 

Wow @gidgetgh, that is really great. Congratulations! What an accomplishment. You must be so proud of yourself!!

As to the OP, I wouldn't worry about it. Just from some of the comments on these boards it does seem that some have the misconception if you don't cook it means you can't. I have even seen a poster say that people that don't cook are lazy (ridiculous). I don't agree with that statement either. It is like everything else in life. Some people just don't like to like to cook like they don't like to clean, do yard work, etc.. so they let someone else do it. That is completely ok. I don't know why anyone would think differently. Women can be so hard on other women for choices they make. 

When I was younger and in my 20s, I didn't really like to cook as much as I do now. Over the years I have really grown to love it. I did have a daughter and as a single mom, I had to even if I didn't want to. I did all my cooking for the week on Sunday and made lots of meals for the week and froze them because I really didn't have the time to at night during the week. That worked well for us and I started liking to cook more and more and I still do especially during the holidays but I am not the only one cooking. My daughter, sister, mom and even the guys in my family all make something. My husband likes to cook as well and does it year round, not just the holidays. I do cook for my husband but not every night and I would not like it if it was expected. I do it because I like to. He is a grown man and I work and always have, if I had a husband that expected or demanded me to cook, he would be disappointed. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Personally, if I did not want to cook I would not invite guests for Thanksgiving dinner - just my thoughts on it. I would never invite company for take out food.

You make it seem like "take out food" is a horrible thing! Take out can be from a gourmet restaurant and can be just as good or better than someone's home cooked meal! It's all about the family and fun times together. 

One of my favorites turkey and ham came from Heavenly Ham one year, all my family had to do was make the sides and WE ALL LOVED IT!

There are no set rules for Thanksgiving, it could be Mexican, Chinese or any other food choice. As for me this year, I'm undecided so I may go out to a nice restaurant and have seafood.

Is Heavenly Ham like Honeybaked Ham @JaneMarple? If so that ham is to die for and I am not even a huge ham fan. Our Honeybaked Ham store has to have police directing traffic into the store during the holidays because they get so busy!!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I've cooked holiday meals for about 30 years.  I do like doing so, but one of these days, I'm going to do the Thanksgiving morning "Turkey Trot" race, and then will pick  up a fully cooked meal at one of our markets.  

People say these meals are very good...I'll find out.  Even if it's not as good as a home cooked meal, I think any good meal we share with family and friends, is a good one. 

Super Contributor
I feel if the hostess wants to order food already cooked, so be it. She should have fun and enjoy the holiday too. So many people are exhausted before the company even arrives. Good company, good food, family/friends gathered together. That's what matters most, not whether the food was made by the hostess in her own kitchen or not.

Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Personally, if I did not want to cook I would not invite guests for Thanksgiving dinner - just my thoughts on it. I would never invite company for take out food.

You make it seem like "take out food" is a horrible thing! Take out can be from a gourmet restaurant and can be just as good or better than someone's home cooked meal! It's all about the family and fun times together. 

One of my favorites turkey and ham came from Heavenly Ham one year, all my family had to do was make the sides and WE ALL LOVED IT!

There are no set rules for Thanksgiving, it could be Mexican, Chinese or any other food choice. As for me this year, I'm undecided so I may go out to a nice restaurant and have seafood.

@JaneMarple, as a teen we had a Xmas Eve tradition of home cooked clam chowder with sherry (in the chowder)  and fresh French baguettes w/unsweetened butter. We often ate Mexican or whatever for Xmas Eve or NYE as well.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@JaneMarple wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@JaneMarple, as a teen we had a Xmas Eve tradition of home cooked clam chowder with sherry (in the chowder)  and fresh French baguettes w/unsweetened butter. We often ate Mexican or whatever for Xmas Eve or NYE as well.

Hi @Moonchilde I raised four kids, cooked just about everyday and my ex husband cooked as well. One of my daughters is a trained chef and another is a fantastic home cook so they have taken over the cooking duties because like the OP, I'm done. LOL

When I was first married I was a military wife and traveled all over the states and overseas. It was fun learning other traditions and foods from people that we met. so in our home holidays were a lot of fun in that we didn't always have the traditional turkey every Thanksgiving but we were all together.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

Isn't the whole idea of getting together at Thanksgiving to give thanks and be with family and friends?  If people like you and want to be with you and your family, the food isn't important.  What the OP said she would serve sounded  perfectly acceptable to me.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

This certainly wouldn't be something I would get a little ticked off over.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor
Why didn't you respond to your neighbor as you would've responded to a poster here? I'm shocked!
Trusted Contributor

If she's a big-time QVC shopper, she might also read here!  Uh oh ....

Robot Embarassed   Smiley Embarassed   Woman Embarassed