Honored Contributor

Re: Why do people post every little thing on Facebook?

On 2/5/2014 occasional rain said:

I'm detecting hostility toward the people who post what pleases them on their own page and I'm wondering why.

It's not like they invited you to dinner and forced you to watch three hours of their trip to Disney. You don't have to visit their page and you can unfriend them if you don't like them defacing yours.

I can only speak for myself, occasional rain, but I feel no hostility. I wouldn't use Facebook if it upset or angered me.

The problem comes from the fact that Facebook has been in the process of changing the algorithm that "decides" what shows up on a user's main "News Feed." We don't have the settings we once had, to choose to see only some of the person's posts. It's a choice of seeing just about all the person's updates or seeing none of them.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

On 2/5/2014 dooBdoo said:
On 2/5/2014 occasional rain said:

I'm detecting hostility toward the people who post what pleases them on their own page and I'm wondering why.

It's not like they invited you to dinner and forced you to watch three hours of their trip to Disney. You don't have to visit their page and you can unfriend them if you don't like them defacing yours.

I can only speak for myself, occasional rain, but I feel no hostility. I wouldn't use Facebook if it upset or angered me.

The problem comes from the fact that Facebook has been in the process of changing the algorithm that "decides" what shows up on a user's main "News Feed." We don't have the settings we once had, to choose to see only some of the person's posts. It's a choice of seeing just about all the person's updates or seeing none of them.

I see what you mean. I suppose if you had a hundred friends it could get tedious. I have maybe ten if that. Just those people I really, really like.

Super Contributor

I don't have a Facebook but do have access and right now I have a student who has been moping around because she "just had surgery, was bleeding" and "just feeling bad" so she has missed class and has left early. However, she has been posting on Facebook how she hates school and about all her fun activities, including working as a bartender.
Esteemed Contributor

On 2/5/2014 RedHeadedWench said:
On 2/5/2014 rondell said:
On 2/5/2014 happy housewife said: I know someone who frequently eats out and posts a picture of her plate and her DH's on her FB page.

This I really don't understand. {#emotions_dlg.lol}

I've got a friend that posts pics of her mannies and peddies. And I would never tell her this, but her feet and toes are not all that picturesque.

Wink

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

It's pathetic.

Trusted Contributor

This is one of the funnier things I've seen on facebook.

n/m photobucket no longer works for me.

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Honored Contributor

I also have a close friend who has to post everything on FB. She and several other people I know have to post the most mundane things that goes on in their lives almost every day. She's also one of those people who posts where she goes out to eat for lunch and dinner which is almost all the time....and she also gets lots of comments. I think it's an attention getting thing and getting lots of comments just gives her the feedback that she craves. It's also a lot of work to keep those comments coming...to receive lots of positive comments one needs to be on FB a lot and give out lots of positive comments to others to keep them coming in for her.

When she first joined she reconnected with lots of old high school friends that she hadn't seen in decades. She like many others quickly became addicted to it and had to be on FB constantly to check her feed and make comments along with sending silly ""gifts"" to give to others. Some of it almost reminded me a bit of jr. high when we used to pass lots of silly notes to each other in class.

In the beginning FB took up a lot of her time and to make a long story short she ended up getting a divorce from her husband partially because of her FB obsession and all the fun feedback she was doing with all of her new found friends. Yes it's far more complicated than just connecting and flirting with lots of FB friends. She had problems in her marriage to begin with but certain things should never be posted on FB. FB just made things worse.

Today she's still on it a lot. Though not as much as before she has to post where she had dinner etc. with her new significant other. What I find so annoying is if I go out to lunch with her she has whip out that phone and post who she's with (me) and where she is. I and another friend have asked her to please not post our photos and names when were out having lunch. She doesn't understand why and it turns into a bit of a heated discussion.

I really think a lot of the constant updates that some do on FB is a form of attention that some crave. By posting they get lots of comments which just feeds the need for that attention.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's a habit turned addiction. This is true especially with middle age and older posters who, before Facebook, had limited outlets for this kind of activity. For some it's taken the place of private boards, news chat rooms, special interest groups, etc.

I have a close friend who works for a firm that tries to thwart and, in some cases, just keep up with cyber bad guys ... none of his colleagues subscribe to any social media sites.

Frequent Contributor

On 2/6/2014 insomniac said:

It's pathetic.

ITA{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

JMO, lonely, insecure individuals seeking attention{#emotions_dlg.sad}

I've read many posts on Q's Boards with TMI.

Why do people flatter themselves into thinking we are interested in the most mundane aspects of their lives{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Honored Contributor

It's way better with facebook now. Years ago these type of people subjected everyone within listening range to all these boring details every day at work or whenever you ran into them or they would phone everyone they knew with this nonsense. At least now you are spared most of that.

I sure wouldn't want anyone to know that much about my life and my whereabouts 24/7.

Before facebook, the same type of person would go on an on an on about every detail of the lives. At least you can choose to ignore it and don't have to listen to these boring details. It is sad that they have no real lives but now with facebook they have something to do to occupy them.

9before all this facebook