Respected Contributor

Why can't I adjust my preferences?

I really want posts to be lined up so that the newest ones are first.

I haVE indicated this in the preferences section--I've done this 7 or 8 times--and I click "save" and still the posts are lined up with the oldest ones first.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Honored Contributor

Re: Why can't I adjust my preferences?

[ Edited ]

First, let me say I'm no techie, so this is just a guess on my part, based on what I've found with my settings so far.

I think sometimes to have things set up the way you want (or the way you think they should be), you have to change more than one setting in Preferences.  Try going to Preferences, then go through each sub-catagory and look to see what is currently set and what you may need to change to do what you want.  (Have I confused you yet?)

For instance, for what you're asking, I think maybe you might have to not only set the "Newest to Oldest" setting, but also click on "Show the Latest Post" setting, as well as "Show the Latest Topic" setting (under Home Page).  This is just a suggestion, because I don't know if that will change to what you want.  I'm only saying this because I couldn't get my home page to look like the old one, and when I did this, it worked.

If you're totally confused, I'm sorry.  I'm fumbling my way around here too.

ETA: And under "View All Forum Topics", click the drop-down to show "by post" and it will give you all the latest posts first.  Unfortunately, this one I think you have to do each time you log in.

Esteemed Contributor

The only thing I can think of is that maybe you have set this preference for TOPICS, but haven't set it for POSTS yet.  These are two different settings.  Or maybe that you didn't hit SAVE after you set the preference? HTH

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

I've spent way too much time fiddling with preferences. If someone can give me clear, step-by-step instructions on exactly how to do the following, let me know. 

I want the ORIGINAL POST at the top of the page and NEWEST replies directly below. Exactly as it worked in the previous version.

Setting old to new doesn't work because while the original post is at the top, directly below it are the replies from oldest to newest. And, obvioulsy new to old means the op ends up at the bottom of the entire thread with new reponses first. Why the original post doesn't stay sticky at the top makes no sense.

I've tried every configuration, tossed "go to newest reply" by clicking the box, etc. and still nothing works.

It just should not be this hard.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

Make sure you're signed in. Someone was trying to change preferences without signing in and it wasn't working. Once they signed in they were able to do it. Sorry, I don't remember who said it.
Honored Contributor

I agree, I have had the same problem.  For instance, I just posted a reply and that post appears in the middle of the group for no rhyme or reason.  It's not alphabetic and it certainly isn't chronological.  I guess it just "goes somewhere." 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

gardensla wrote:

I've spent way too much time fiddling with preferences. If someone can give me clear, step-by-step instructions on exactly how to do the following, let me know. 

I want the ORIGINAL POST at the top of the page and NEWEST replies directly below. Exactly as it worked in the previous version.

Setting old to new doesn't work because while the original post is at the top, directly below it are the replies from oldest to newest. And, obvioulsy new to old means the op ends up at the bottom of the entire thread with new reponses first. Why the original post doesn't stay sticky at the top makes no sense.

I've tried every configuration, tossed "go to newest reply" by clicking the box, etc. and still nothing works.

It just should not be this hard.

Ah, are you talking about each thread?   That on each thread page you want the original post at the top and then the newest replies first?

I don't think you can change that, if that's what you're referring to.  I'd like the original thread post to be at the top of each thread page again too, but it's not anymore. 

Honored Contributor

I couldn't either, but suddenly all the changes I tried to make have been implemented. Maybe try again in a little while to see if yours have too?
Honored Contributor

Yup.........seems the forums automatically sign you out after a while.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Gardensla, I don't think there is a way to put the ORIGINAL POST at the top of the page and NEWEST replies directly below.  The only display options are oldest-to-newest or newest-to-oldest.

I'm frustrated because my settings don't seem to work all the time.  I know they're not used if I'm not logged in, but sometimes even when I'm logged in, my preferences are not used.  I have to go to My Prefences and save them again.  I don't know if others have this problem.  Frustrating, to be sure.  I'm pretty much giving up on preferences.  Each time I open a thread, I look to see how it's sorted and read up or down depending on the current sort order.