Trusted Contributor

Why are my knuckles getting bigger? None of my rings fit me now!

Is it arthritis? I have always had very thin fingers with larger knuckles (just like my aunt), and I've always had to buy rings big enough to fit over my knuckles. Rings are my favorite jewelry item, and other than earrings, that is all the jewelry I typically were.

For a few weeks now, I've had trouble getting my rings on. I first noticed it with my wedding ring. I thought my fingers were just swollen, as it had been hot and humid. I started noticing it more every day. None of my rings fit! It has been very chilly here for several days now, so I can no longer blame it on the weather. I have had a day here or there in the past when my rings didn't fit because my fingers were swollen, but my rings have not fit me for weeks now.

I have a very large ring collection, and I hate to see them just sit in my jewelry box. Is my only option to get that all resized? Has anyone else had this problem?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why are my knuckles getting bigger? None of my rings fit me now!

most likely arthritis....I use to wear a size 7 ring....haha....now they all sit in my jewelry box...I just ordered a size 9 and 10 ring...same one...neither of them fit over my knuckles...I had to send them back...I was so disappointed....I love rings, too...now I don't know what size to order...most of the Q rings stop at size 10....hard to find an 11....

Honored Contributor

My jeweler told me that as we age our hands change and it has nothing to do with weight gain. I'm not certain if this is what you are experiencing or not.

Super Contributor

Sounds like arthritis. My Mom has the same problem.

There is a solution you might want to check out. She had a few of her favorite rings fit with an adjustable closure (sort of like the ones on some watchbands that flip open and then fold flat) or there is another method where the jeweler can convert the ring with a hinge (like some bangle bracelets have).

Respected Contributor

On 7/31/2014 sue98 said:

Is it arthritis? I have always had very thin fingers with larger knuckles (just like my aunt), and I've always had to buy rings big enough to fit over my knuckles. Rings are my favorite jewelry item, and other than earrings, that is all the jewelry I typically were.

For a few weeks now, I've had trouble getting my rings on. I first noticed it with my wedding ring. I thought my fingers were just swollen, as it had been hot and humid. I started noticing it more every day. None of my rings fit! It has been very chilly here for several days now, so I can no longer blame it on the weather. I have had a day here or there in the past when my rings didn't fit because my fingers were swollen, but my rings have not fit me for weeks now.

I have a very large ring collection, and I hate to see them just sit in my jewelry box. Is my only option to get that all resized? Has anyone else had this problem?

This doesn't sound like arthritis. Many ladies have swelling from heat in the summer and you could be retaining water. Many ladies have summer jewelry and winter jewelry. If this continues, it may be arthritis. I would hold off the cost of resizing rings for a little while or you may have to make them smaller in a few weeks.

Super Contributor

Most of my fingers have gnarly knuckles from arthritis. But my left hand ring finger is still a normal 5 size. My right hand ring finger went from a 6 to a 7. I can't get rings on any other fingers except my little fingers and they are probably a 4.

I, too, have many rings I cannot wear any longer.

Esteemed Contributor

I have some arthritis in my hands, more pronounced in my pointer finger 1st joint on my right hand. It doesn't usually hurt, it just seems to keep adding bone! My finger joints have changed over the years so now a ring that I used to have specifically for my middle or pointer finger won't go over the joints, and it's a little too loose for my ring finger. None of the joints hurt except the one I mentioned on my pointer finger (just once in a while), but they have definitely increased in size...not my fingers, just the joints, and my fingers don't swell. So maybe it's just a hazard of aging....{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Valued Contributor

OK, question here, because I honestly don't know - is it arthritis even if you have no joint pain and/or stiffness? I thought those were always the symptoms of arthritis; is there an asymptomatic kind?

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Honored Contributor

Fingers and knuckles: contract in cold/expand with heat. Some people also as they age their fingers get thicker, I know mine have over the years. I have osteoarthritis in the first 3 fingers on each hand, but they did not get bigger because of this.

Now the other type of arthritis?

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Hi Sue Smiley Happy I'd like to suggest you see your doctor soon. You're obviously concerned and we can only guess what's happening. My fingers swell at times, also, so I know how discomforting it can be.
A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices