Honored Contributor

Re: Why Kids Today Are Out of Shape, Disrespectful –And In Charge

@Jacie wrote:

So......all this conversation on this topic still has not explained why parents do absolutely NOTHING when out in public with their disruptive kids! This includes Grandparents as well, I have seen that also!

How about" NO or we are leaving", then leave! 

Many reasons. 

Lazy

Feelings of guilt

Not present (wrapped up in their technology, conversation, own head, etc)

Intimidated (yep, it happens, even at young ages)

Rebelling against the way they themselves were raised (how's that working for ya)

Politically correct (reading the books, following the experts because everyone else does, and tells them to pick their battles, don't sweat the small stuff, give them their space, allow them their feelings and don't stifle their creativity, that thee parents then translate into letting kids do whatever comes to them)

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

So......all this conversation on this topic still has not explained why parents do absolutely NOTHING when out in public with their disruptive kids! This includes Grandparents as well, I have seen that also!

There is really no excuse for it so that is why there are no explanations lol. My parents watch my nephew sometimes and that kid is a completely different kid with them then with his parents. He hits his mom, calls her names, ignores her, the whole gamut. With my parents, he is a choirboy lol. The difference is that they halve rules and those rules are enforced. Funny thing is, he loves being at their house and wants to live with them. He thrives on the structure they give him. Poor little guy. sad situation overall. 

Good point. Kids crave and need structure, and limits. That can be done firmly and consistently without abuse or anger, but many on here, I think, assume if you use words like discipline or rules, or control, that is the case.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

Many reasons. 

Lazy

Feelings of guilt

Not present (wrapped up in their technology, conversation, own head, etc)

Intimidated (yep, it happens, even at young ages)

Rebelling against the way they themselves were raised (how's that working for ya)

Politically correct (reading the books, following the experts because everyone else does, and tells them to pick their battles, don't sweat the small stuff, give them their space, allow them their feelings and don't stifle their creativity, that thee parents then translate into letting kids do whatever comes to them)

Thanks. Smiley Happy

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Trusted Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

Every generation complains about "kids these days".  I see nothing wrong with kids these days, in general.  Most everyone I know has kind, respectful and motivated children.  Occasionally they act up, but that's why they are kids.

i totally agree with you @Maudelynn.

it was all there BEFORE...we just SEE a lot more of it because of technology.

I retired from teaching in June. I taught at the same middle school I attended 47 years ago. I disagree with you both. There is a big difference when it comes to respect, parenting, authority and disciplining nowadays! Yes, I heard my parent's say kids were not the same as in their generation but they were generally referring to lack of being disciplined or not being formally respectful, as in saying Ma'am or Yes Sir or using your manners  or the music, language or dancing.  No way would you be allowed to tell any adult, let alone your parent to shut up. In my father's house that would have gotten you a whipping for sure!  I couldn't wait to retire. I thought it must be like being in a prison where the inmates were in charge. They had all the rights! I couldn't say shut up but they could say f    you and detention was the only consequence. In my day at this school you would have been suspended for sure!

We all are at a loss when people such as yourself leave the system.

Valued Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

Blame lousy parenting.

Ever been shopping when the kid never shuts up and the parent says nothing?

Been to the restaurant where the kid is screaming and the parents do nothing?

Been in church with the parent who doesn't leave with the crying baby?

Ever seen the parent who is trying to "reason" with a 3 year old?

Who is in charge here? it starts early and by the time they are 6, it's too late.

Rude parent=rude kid.

I jokingly say I have seen the future and I am not happy about it! All that entitlement.....and so it continues!

Yep and the kids in restaurants running around bothering other customers and climbing all over and on everything while parents are glued to their phone?

I can honestly say I've seen this once, maybe twice in my life.  I guess I don't hang out in the right places.

Sheltered life eh? 😀

YES - 100% AGREE.

Trusted Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

@Starpolisher wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Maudelynn wrote:

Every generation complains about "kids these days".  I see nothing wrong with kids these days, in general.  Most everyone I know has kind, respectful and motivated children.  Occasionally they act up, but that's why they are kids.

i totally agree with you @Maudelynn.

it was all there BEFORE...we just SEE a lot more of it because of technology.

I retired from teaching in June. I taught at the same middle school I attended 47 years ago. I disagree with you both. There is a big difference when it comes to respect, parenting, authority and disciplining nowadays! Yes, I heard my parent's say kids were not the same as in their generation but they were generally referring to lack of being disciplined or not being formally respectful, as in saying Ma'am or Yes Sir or using your manners  or the music, language or dancing.  No way would you be allowed to tell any adult, let alone your parent to shut up. In my father's house that would have gotten you a whipping for sure!  I couldn't wait to retire. I thought it must be like being in a prison where the inmates were in charge. They had all the rights! I couldn't say shut up but they could say f    you and detention was the only consequence. In my day at this school you would have been suspended for sure!

Thank you for your years of service to education.  Repsectfully, it was probably time for you to retire if you feel that way about kids

Respectfully?????? You start a post that is inherently mean spirited in a back door way and you think that by saying respectfully that it excuses your message? This woman or individual gave so many years of her life to teaching and this is your answer? It is time to Get Out.  Good Grief.

Respected Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

@Jacie

I was at Macy's last week and overheard a young girl trying

to get her Grandmother to buy her a Michael Kors Handbag.

She wanted it for school to carry her books in !

Many kids today have no concept of money. They're so

use to getting everything with mommy and daddy's money!!

Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

Since the beginning of time when little prehistoric

Cro-Magnon Junior did something wrong & was grounded,

but wanted to leave the cave to play with a saber-tooth tiger,

he raised a hissy-fit & Mama Magnon probably felt like

'these kids nowadays aren't like the ones of yesteryear'.

The plague of bit*ch sassy kids is not anything new.

Until people realize that, the cycle continues.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Since the beginning of time when little prehistoric

Cro-Magnon Junior did something wrong & was grounded,

but wanted to leave the cave to play with a saber-tooth tiger,

he raised a hissy-fit & Mama Magnon probably felt like

'these kids nowadays aren't like the ones of yesteryear'.

The plague of bit*ch sassy kids is not anything new.

Until people realize that, the cycle continues.

The laws of natural selection played better in those times.......

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

i know somone that has a rude 6 year old boyand one time we hurd him call his mother a dirty c--t. and lots more than that. i am 45 years old. if i ever said that or anything like that i wouldnt be alive now.