Honored Contributor

Re: Why Kids Today Are Out of Shape, Disrespectful –And In Charge

@JAXS Mom wrote:

I was telling my daughter about this thread discussing how her generation isn't respectful and she said "well yeah, their version of respect is being in authority" LOL 

I thought that was so astute. 

I hope she respects authority, teachers, the law, etc. that's what is lacking in a lot of young people today. They can't relate to anyone that tells them what they don't want to hear and they react negatively. That negative reaction to being told what to do by a person in  authority is  indeed  a direct reflection on how they are being raised.

Honored Contributor

Too big of a topic for me to handle today....I have one kid.  He is a great kid and respectful.  I don't worry about how others parent.  I don't live under their roof and I am not their therapist.  When my son's friends come to my house, I have rules and they are followed.  Most kids are really good kids....nobody's perfect.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

Divorce, substance abuse, neglect didnt start in the 1990's-we had them in the 1950's-60's too. And society was MUCH less tolerant or empahetic then.

I know. My DF is untreated/noncompliant mentally ill, who married and divorced 4x. I dealt with those issues all my life (and still have to).

Disrespect has nothing to do with those issues.

Honored Contributor

It is very easy to sit back and judge others.  You never know what my be happening to them or their health or in their families.  Things can change in an instant in your own lives so it's best not to judge.

And remember, the poor and middle class must resort more and more to buying whatever food can feed their families because they can't afford fresh fruits and vegies.  It costs more to eat right.  Until the middle class is revived and the poor are no longer demonized, this will continue.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JAXS Mom wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

I totally agree about  kids and teens who have HUGE issues.

I do not, however, believe that the discussion was about those problems relating to mental health, autism or other spectrum disorders, drug addiction or any other health issue. The topic was about the collapse of parenting!

Well sure, if you see a kid acting out and you're already walking around with the belief that there is a collapse in parenting it wouldn't even occur to you that there is more going on. Of course it has to be the parenting. It's called confirmation bias. The other option would be to have sympathy and compassion for the kid and it's parents and not assume you know why the kid is acting out. 

OK raise the flag so you're a licensed child psychologist?  Don't even try and turn it  into being my fault!

I am saying I'm sick of kids (children 6 and under primarily) who are in public acting like bratty, rude, swearing, melting down with parents and grandparents who don't remove them from the surrounding. I certainly am not alone as this thread indicates!Remove the kids, put them down for a nap when they need it, feed them when they need it. Teach them. In other words, meet their needs. OR what a concept, leave them at home!

There are some situations which are very kid friendly. Many parents are CLUELESS as to where they should take kids. They just go anywhere and the rest of us have to pay for their idiot decisions.

Those decisions are certainly not good for the kids, it isn't their fault, it's the collapse of parenting. It's not a difficult concept.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@MickD wrote:

Too big of a topic for me to handle today....I have one kid.  He is a great kid and respectful.  I don't worry about how others parent.  I don't live under their roof and I am not their therapist.  When my son's friends come to my house, I have rules and they are followed.  Most kids are really good kids....nobody's perfect.

Sounds like you are a good parent and know who your only child is hanging out with. Unfortunately most kids are not as advantaged and in my humble opinion it does take a village. As parents we need to support other parents who are not in a position to ideally parent their kids for whatever reason and support our teachers who deal with the fall out 5 days a week.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jacie wrote:

I totally agree about  kids and teens who have HUGE issues.

I do not, however, believe that the discussion was about those problems relating to mental health, autism or other spectrum disorders, drug addiction or any other health issue. The topic was about the collapse of parenting!

@Jacie

The point is none of us, including you, know when we see a young person acting out if they have a mental health or autism disorder, or any other health issue.

The number of kids with those issues would be quite high.

You assume it's parenting and you may be wrong.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jacie wrote:

OK raise the flag so you're a licensed child psychologist?  Don't even try and turn it  into being my fault!

I am saying I'm sick of kids (children 6 and under primarily) who are in public acting like bratty, rude, swearing, melting down with parents and grandparents who don't remove them from the surrounding. I certainly am not alone as this thread indicates!Remove the kids, put them down for a nap when they need it, feed them when they need it. Teach them. In other words, meet their needs. OR what a concept, leave them at home!

There are some situations which are very kid friendly. Many parents are CLUELESS as to where they should take kids. They just go anywhere and the rest of us have to pay for their idiot decisions.

Those decisions are certainly not good for the kids, it isn't their fault, it's the collapse of parenting. It's not a difficult concept.

@Jacie

What seems to be the difficult concept to grasp is that you have no idea WHY they are acting the way they do.  You assume, you do not know.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

@Jacie

What seems to be the difficult concept to grasp is that you have no idea WHY they are acting the way they do.  You assume, you do not know.

Frankly, It happens so often I no longer care why they are melting down, I just want the parent to react, do something, remove them from the situation. The parent generally has blinkers on like a horse and they act as if they don't hear a thing, Simple. I have stated many times throughout this that I am referring to small children 6 and under, not teens or young adults. This was never about mental health or spectrum disorder. It's about rude parents.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@JAXS Mom wrote:

I was telling my daughter about this thread discussing how her generation isn't respectful and she said "well yeah, their version of respect is being in authority" LOL 

I thought that was so astute. 

I think it kind of shows a problem with authority.