Respected Contributor

Re: Why Kids Today Are Out of Shape, Disrespectful –And In Charge

I have encountered (albeit very briefly due to my attitude) rudeness in young adolescents. With polite prompting in my room I make it clear that it is my classroom the students are in and that we speak to each other w/respect. The fact that I am in a paraochial school helps a lot!

I also am know 'to run a tight ship'-quoting another teacher who I respect greatly. 

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

I saw $10,000.00 worth of damage to a school bathroom and the principal did nothing. The same boy had a mother  who would ream a teacher for correcting said student.

I can't wait to retire and say'f*** you to whoever I wish!, lol.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@maestra wrote:

I saw $10,000.00 worth of damage to a school bathroom and the principal did nothing. The same boy had a mother  who would ream a teacher for correcting said student.

I can't wait to retire and say'f*** you to whoever I wish!, lol.

Lol! I totally understand! I forgot to mention in my post about the parents who come in to "accuse you" if you dare to correct their child. Rarely any support from parents or administration!

Also to those who said it was time for me to retire..."You are absolutely right!" I no longer wanted , nor could stand being in such a hostile and disrespectful environment. It made me feel physically ill not being able to teach, having to tolerate it and feeling like my hands were tied! 

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

The students are so disrepectful. You have no idea. It used to not be like this.

Esteemed Contributor

My take.  Why do people still have children?  It's not a requirement for life or existence. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

My take.  Why do people still have children?  It's not a requirement for life or existence. 

Ohhh now you've gone and done it! Lol! So unPC to ask this question, and yet what an interesting topic of discussion, imo! 😉 

Esteemed Contributor

I work with children, which I absolutely love.  I am also in the schools often.  Let me say that I see a style of parenting and a trend of student behavior in the schools that is not a good one. Of course most of the students are wonderful, but there is a growing number of disrespectful and difficult children every year.  We are witnessing learned behavior from these children.

Trusted Contributor

I agree with this article.

Kids today have it easier with all the gadgets they use.   Many of us didn't even have an electric typewriter for homework.  These kids have it easier with the Internet, do they even use a library anymore?   They have computers that correct mistakes and make homework and papers easier and efficient.  I remember the white out tape and onion paper.   If you messed up, you started over.

I don't get why every kid needs a phone.   Sure, I can see a cheap phone for emergenices, but not expensive smart phones.   Kids don't know how to write or even interact with adults if it's not "online."    Don't even get me started about texting and s@xting!   Most of the people I see driving while on the phone or texting are younger kids.

Kids bully other kids online because they think being in front of a computer means you have some kind of power.   

My favorite story is at the beauty shop.  I was in the waiting room and a father was holding his young son on his lap, looking at a tablet.  The kid was mesmerized by the cartoon on the screen.  When he looked up, I smiled and played "peek-a-boo" with my hands, which usually garners a laugh or smile from a kid (at least it did in the old days).  This kid screamed bloody murder.  The father then turned his attention back to the tablet and the kid was calm looking at the screen.  Yikes... I'm afraid that kid is going to have a tough time in nursery school and dealing with real live people.   

Yes, we all say in our generation that kids are spoiled, but I had to walk to school, I had to work in the summer, I had to respect adults and my elders and not dress like a slob or try to dress more mature than my age.  I can't believe how some young girls dress.   We had to wear slacks or dresses to school, no shorts or sandals or mini tops.  

It might have seemed stricter years ago, but most kids respected adults and were responsible for their actions.   

I know there are some great kids out there...who have attentive parents who strive to raise responsible kids.   I agree with the article that most parents today give in to their kids.

I feel sorry for some kids growing up today who have to deal with the bullying behavior and excessive peer pressure.  

I applaud parents who set good examples and discipline their kids to teach and to help them grow up healthier.

Honored Contributor

I can honestly say I was so happy to be brought up in the 50's and 60's.  We learned total respect and how to act in public or else.  I'm sorry but there are kids' that well, need some serious attention but the parents are too busy or don't have the time.  I can't stand it when they blame it on teachers & etc., it all starts at home! 

Thank you to those that have been and are educators- you have to put up with so much & the kids, they some times don't know any better.  Like you see on Atlanta news these teenagers that are on the streets half the night robbing, car jacking.. Where are their parents?

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee