Honored Contributor

Re: Why Do Some People Ignore The Elderly

@Jacie wrote:

My darling Mom is a vital, vigorous 85, with the usual "senior moments" that happen to all of us!

I am usually in attendance at her doctor's appointments, at her request, but only answer if asked by her to participate. Same goes with our shopping and other outings.

Had to laugh the other day while at Target with her,  neither of us could get the chip card reader thingee to work right! We giggled 'til we had tears in our eyes. So did the cashier!

By the grace of God go I. We are all going to get there sooner than we'd like, be kind.

Sounds like you have a loving wonderful relationship with your mom. It reminds me of myself when my mom was alive. Treasure every moment! But I know you already do......Heart

Super Contributor

I think I can help answer this. As my mom got older she became a bit more nervous about health issues and appreciated the assurance of having me there for moral support when she had a doctor's appointment. I was someone to chat with while waiting for the doctor. As we get older I think we consider our mortality more than we did when we were younger. And my mom is still 'with it'. Smiley Happy

Beautifully said!  You are blessed to be there for your mom.  I live so far from mine. 

THANK YOU! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Don't tell my parents or grands that they're ignored! They've all chosen to live in areas with diverse populations and ages. They're all the youngest people I know.
Honored Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

I have a sister in law who is from the Phillipines and it's the opposite in their culture.  The older you get, the more respect you get.  They even have a special name for you. Unfortunately, America will never understand this and the media doesn't care.  It's all about the young celebrities selling to the young people. I'm 57 and I have already noticed descrimination. Try going to the Mac counter.  They look at you like you don't belong there. They lost a huge sale that day.  

Many cultures have great respect for their older members, but I think it's a mistake to blame "America" for the discrimination.   If someone ignores or is rude to an elderly person, all I think is what a poor job their MOTHER did in raising them ..... it's bad parenting!   

Personally, I feel there are a LOT of inept parents in this country ..... but that's another conversation for another thread.

Respected Contributor

She's 88 and you said you "take care" of her.  People are not mind readers; if you are with your eldely mom and yiou are functioning as her caregiver, they logically assume she has cognitive issues.  Many people have no experience with elderly people, they aren't comfortable around them.  So they don't take the time to get know them.  They have preconceived ideas of what it's like to be 88.  I don't understand why you are offended.  When someone rudely talks "over" your mom, correct them the way you would do if she was 68.  "My mother can answer that for herself" is all you need to say.  If someone phones, you can always just hand the phone to her.  Also, consider those "senior moments".  You know and love your mom, you know how to handle those "senior moments".  They aren't an obstacle for you.  They very well might be a problem for people who don't know her, especially her healthcare providers.  

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

Well what do you expect from a society that idolizes youth and beauty!

I think that pretty much says it all.

Recently, we had some work done on our home, I asked if there was a senior discount. The rude, arrogant way he answered me spelled it out to me that I won't ever do that again. (He advertised that he gave a senior discount otherwise I would never have asked.)

@Trinity11, Huge mistake!! You just keep on asking. This is just my HO but they get mad if they don't get $$$$. Too bad, if you advertise that, plan to use it. That's not fair of them, that infuriates me to go through that. We got slanted once on a purchase, when there was a military discount for the people in front of us and when asked to do the same for us, which was a legitimate request, the seller backed it up some, and said we could have some of a discount, like 1 to a military family at the time. Think we left. What a jerk.

Honored Contributor

Many posters who have stepped up to this issue still fall prey to the "them and us" phenomenon.

(paraphrasing) "I really like old people. I think they're cute and fun". Some are! And some are cranky and belligerent and bull headed and biased and obnoxious. 

"Handicapped people should have access to comfortable housing" (but not next door to me).

"LGTB people should not be discriminated against" ( but do they have to push their lifestyles into my face?)

"I have no problem getting along with (Blacks, Latinos, Muslims etcetcetc.) My newspaper delivery man is a.........

People are people are people are people. Putting them into cliche categories by age or gender preference or race or religious affiliation or physical or mental health deprives EVERYONE. Getting to KNOW people as individuals can take more work, but can also be much more rewarding for EVERYONE than making assumptions.

Give it a try!

Regular Contributor

well after being a caregiver to my father for three 1/2 yrs,I learned a lot.I was just the opposite,just answering for him and treating him like a child.I thought I was helping him,but one day he looked at me and said I'm not a kid. l had to pull back and let him answer for himself,people talked to him and if they didn't get the response they would smile and ask me. His nurses and Dr's would alway talk to him and greet him first. I aways talk to the elderly,if they strike up a conversation,we will be there one day,I remind myself!

Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

This is sad.  Reminds me of the John Prine song "Hello in There"

Ya' know that old trees just grow stronger,
And old rivers grow wilder ev'ry day.
Old people just grow lonesome
Waiting for someone to say, "Hello in there, hello."

So if you're walking down the street sometime
And spot some hollow ancient eyes,
Please don't just pass 'em by and stare
As if you didn't care, say, "Hello in there, hello."

Yes. 

Respected Contributor

Image result for how we treat the elderly

And I always did and do! I figure that older means wiser (usually! lol!)