Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why Do Some People Ignore The Elderly

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

I hope everyone doesn't think b/c a younger person is with an elderly person it is b/c they need attendance. I loved doing things with my mom and spending time with her in her old age. She was my mom and my best friend and nobody can ever replace your Mother. 

Through my working years, I took one day out of the weekend to spend with her. We had a good time together, and as an only daughter with three brothers, I could enjoy all the girly things with her. 

Many times now, I think of so many things I never got to know of my mother; things I never asked her about. It makes me sad that I did not share more of her as a person than just as a Mother. 

My mom had dementia the last couple years of her life. It was a long good-bye as I lost her a few years before she died. She needed 24 hour care the last year, and my three wonderful brothers and I gave that to her.. It always amazed me her wonderful ability to understand and accept each one of us, different though we were. 

I hope while you still have your mothers, you enjoy the wonderful and unique relationship I had with mine.. 

@febe1

Well.  for some it can be hard to tell, especially if the younger person starts the conversation.

I suppose if it's a young person/elderly person, the young is there to "help out." When the elder is making a purchase and paying, she should be addressed. It's bad when they're ignored, @Tinkrbl44.

Honored Contributor

I agree that this is a problem.  I am no spring chick, that's for sure and I am already noticing that I am treated at times as though I am no longer "relevant."  As though I am old, so what do I have to offer which could be considered noteworthy, important or intelligent.  My mother frequently says - my body may be going, but don't treat me as if I have lost my marbles!!!  

As a young person, I always had the greatest respect for the elderly.  No one had to  tell me to treat them well.  I always enjoyed their company and sought them out.  

I find it very sad that some don't want to take the time to deal with the elderly or to treat them kindly --- or even just as you would anyone else.  People are people.  Maybe the outside looks different, but inside --- we're the same.  We want the same things --- we need the same things.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Regular Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

This is sad.  Reminds me of the John Prine song "Hello in There"

Ya' know that old trees just grow stronger,
And old rivers grow wilder ev'ry day.
Old people just grow lonesome
Waiting for someone to say, "Hello in there, hello."

So if you're walking down the street sometime
And spot some hollow ancient eyes,
Please don't just pass 'em by and stare