Honored Contributor

Why All the Electronic Shows?

All of the shopping channels are overloaded with electronic shows this weekend...yet prices are far better at B&M stores or even on-line.

I read that electronics and jewelry weren't doing well on shopping channels.

Maybe they need to stop trying to compete in markets where they aren't competitive.

Jusr my opinion!

Honored Contributor

Re: Why All the Electronic Shows?

I just think this time of year is  huge for electronics - and I know if I were buying, I'd more than likely buy online because I could get delivery to my front door.  When there's no one to carry the heavy or awkward purchases, you learn pretty fast that online works well even if it costs more.  Seldom costs any where close to what you'd end up paying a neighbor or friend to go shop with you or for you.

Jewelry?  I'm thinking that's in trouble many places although I did listen to an  interview with the CEO of Tiffany Wednesday in which he said their revenue in Japan is up 24% in 2015.  It's that and other foreign sales holding that company together, not US sales right now.

Honored Contributor

I'm surprised the OP doesn't realize that electronics are a big money maker.   They have the highest mark ups.

Honored Contributor

Big ticket items are prominent everywhere this time of year.           

Honored Contributor

@brii wrote:

I'm surprised the OP doesn't realize that electronics are a big money maker.   They have the highest mark ups.

They are huge moneymakers...but other places have better sales and the newest gadgets.

QVC has stated in the past that electronics and jewelry aren't big moneymakers for them...and other shopping channels have said the same in their quarterly reports too.

Respected Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

All of the shopping channels are overloaded with electronic shows this weekend...yet prices are far better at B&M stores or even on-line.

I read that electronics and jewelry weren't doing well on shopping channels.

Maybe they need to stop trying to compete in markets where they aren't competitive.

Jusr my opinion!

Not everyone has easy access to B&M stores or wants the hassle of getting there early and fighting any crowds. There are also many who still will not use on-line shopping such as Amazon. They stick with what they know best-shopping channels. They know the ins and outs of home delivery, returns and possibly easy pay.

Respected Contributor

Maybe they are what some people are looking for, but certainly not me. When I see the electronics on there, it makes me change the channel. I just wish they'd show more variety. I'd like to see some fine jewelry for a change. Yes, it's expensive, but so are electronics, but jewelry is a gift people will have for a lifetime. It doesn't have to be the super expensive once in a lifetime jewelry, maybe just some nice precious gemstone earrings set in gold, etc. There's too much cheap, costume looking jewelry, like the Honora colored pearls that look like a little girl's pop beads. Lol, at least there's no more drusy that they pushed and pushed two or three years back.
Honored Contributor

People imo want electronics the most, for the holidays.

Easy pays.

The shopping channels make the most profit on electronics.

I am not sure if they are selling the most recent version of the item  Cleaning out the old?

Some people can't get to stores, or have limited stores.

Respected Contributor

Maybe at this time of year with holiday shopping, Q has better luck with selling electronics.

I'm guessing most of their items sell better at this time of year.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Respected Contributor

High sales and good margin.