Honored Contributor

Re: Whew! I can see my car again!

I spent 5 hours shoveling yesterday (not all at once) and just did the porch and sidewalk. Today I tackled digging out my car and driveway for 4 hours ( not all at once). Tomorrow I have to shovel my side door  walk so I can get my garbage pails out to the curb when pickup resumes. I read in NYC where I live they were hiring people to shovel for $13.50 an hour! Too bad no one pays me!

Respected Contributor

My husband & I are in our early 60's and live in the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington DC . We paid 2 20-something entrepreneurs $50 to shovel our front steps and the walk to our driveway (I think on Saturday night). I thought this was a little high (for 3 steps and no more than a 15' walk), but we had over 2' of snow and I'd just seen a news report about people having heart attacks after shoveling snow, so I figured $50 was cheaper than the medical bills associated with treating a heart attack (assuming the ambulance could reach us). It took them at least 30 - 45 minutes and they did a great job, so it was money well spent.

On Sunday, it took my husband & I at least an hour to clear the snow off 2 of our cars and try to clear what remained of the driveway with our snow blower (V33011 - Earthwise 13.5 Amp Snow Blower with 18" Width). We'd used the snow blower once last year with @ 6 - 10" of snow and it was a breeze. It was a challenge with the amount of snow we received with this storm, but it worked. In our city, residents have 72 hours after the snow ends to shovel their sidewalks, so we were able to pace ourselves. Also, our son was a big help with the sidewalks. He & my husband worked as a team to get our sidewalks cleared. We just threw/blew the snow onto our front lawn. The City plowed our residential street yesterday and the guys used the snow blower to clear the apron at the end of our driveway. It took some doing, but it worked.

Bottom line: when you're looking at the amount of snow that this storm dumped on us, you have to weigh the cost of hiring someone younger and fitter than you against the cost of a medical emergency. Oh, one more thing - our guys were hunks,.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am glad you got out! There are many here in our county (in other areas not mine) that dug out but no plow has come to plow the streets as of last night (Monday). Most schools in the county are going back to school on a 2 hour delay Wednesday. The city school will be closed again. This is in PA. Our main road here in the country is clear but getting TO the main road is 1 lane on all streets, so if someone is coming one of you has to back up to let the other through. Its been fun!...NOT! PS) we have a one car garage so that car is out. Our other car is buried yet. My husband had to do all the cleaning of snow around our home and maibox himself. And he has asthma bad. And I cant help. (I said to DH to just take the garaged car to work because I dont work or use the other car anyway)

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

My husband & I are in our early 60's and live in the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington DC . We paid 2 20-something entrepreneurs $50 to shovel our front steps and the walk to our driveway (I think on Saturday night). I thought this was a little high (for 3 steps and no more than a 15' walk), but we had over 2' of snow and I'd just seen a news report about people having heart attacks after shoveling snow, so I figured $50 was cheaper than the medical bills associated with treating a heart attack (assuming the ambulance could reach us). It took them at least 30 - 45 minutes and they did a great job, so it was money well spent.

@On Sunday, it took my husband & I at least an hour to clear the snow off 2 of our cars and try to clear what remained of the driveway with our snow blower (V33011 - Earthwise 13.5 Amp Snow Blower with 18" Width). We'd used the snow blower once last year with @ 6 - 10" of snow and it was a breeze. It was a challenge with the amount of snow we received with this storm, but it worked. In our city, residents have 72 hours after the snow ends to shovel their sidewalks, so we were able to pace ourselves. Also, our son was a big help with the sidewalks. He & my husband worked as a team to get our sidewalks cleared. We just threw/blew the snow onto our front lawn. The City plowed our residential street yesterday and the guys used the snow blower to clear the apron at the end of our driveway. It took some doing, but it worked.

Bottom line: when you're looking at the amount of snow that this storm dumped on us, you have to weigh the cost of hiring someone younger and fitter than you against the cost of a medical emergency. Oh, one more thing - our guys were hunks,.

That was money well spent. I would have gladly paid someone $50 to dig me out. I couldn't even find a teenager who wanted to make some money. Luckily after three days of shoveling I'm done. I'm sore from the neck down but feel I can handle anything else Mother Nature throws my way!

Respected Contributor

I hear ya - I live rural and I live alone and did not want to be here with expectations of 2-3 ft of snow so went to my sister's home.  Being on well/septic we have additional issues than those on city water.  Had I stayed here, my car would have been in the garage but at my sister's my car was outside so I tried to pay my nephew to "find" my car under all the snow and he would not take any money.   When I left everyone was outside so I told them I was gonna go back inside to make sure I'd not left anything and left an envelope with $40 on the dining room table for him. 

Most neighbors here have tractors and I'd called the young guy next door so he'd know I was gone so no one had to trudge thru snow to see if I was okay and when I came home he had plowed my long driveway.  At least with tractors, things get plowed out much more quickly and no one is struggling shoveling snow.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I spent 5 hours shoveling yesterday (not all at once) and just did the porch and sidewalk. Today I tackled digging out my car and driveway for 4 hours ( not all at once). Tomorrow I have to shovel my side door  walk so I can get my garbage pails out to the curb when pickup resumes. I read in NYC where I live they were hiring people to shovel for $13.50 an hour! Too bad no one pays me!

@Jordan2: I wish l could have gotten away with paying my shovelers $13.50 an hour. LOL.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

I live in NYC and it's snowing AGAIN!!! I spent 3 days shoveling myself out from the last storm (30 inches all by myself)  My back  hasn't recovered from that storm and now I can look forward to shoveling again.. Spring can't come fast enough for me!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

I live in NYC and it's snowing AGAIN!!! I spent 3 days shoveling myself out from the last storm (30 inches all by myself)  My back  hasn't recovered from that storm and now I can look forward to shoveling again.. Spring can't come fast enough for me!

________

Yikes, I feel your pain. We're finally starting to see grass again.  I hope we don't get anymore snow this year.  I agree with you about Spring.

Take care.

Honored Contributor

I just came in from 21/2 hours of shoveling. I hope I can move tomorrow!

Honored Contributor

A lot of it was wet heavy snow that fell. Once it got removed, the surfaces are now all melted. It's in the 40's now.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼