Honored Contributor

Whew! I can see my car again!

Three entepreneurs just came by to see if I needed snow removal services.  I may be over-paying, but believe me, it's worth it.  Even with 3 strong guys, there's a big issue of where to put the snow!!!  I am so relieved, as I was just getting ready to go outside to see if I could at least put a little dent in things.  I'm so thankful right now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Whew! I can see my car again!

@Krimpette

BF and I each spent 3 hours shoveling yesterday, and we only have one car dug out.

Whatever you paid is worth it, for sure!

Honored Contributor

You guys must be exhausted.  Where are you geographically?  I'm in the metro-DC area.

Valued Contributor

@Krimpette  glad you got shovel out!  you are so right; it's where to put the stuff!

for the first time in 40 years, last year we needed our roof shoveled & my husband is no longer comfortable going up the ladder even in good weather.

we paid a company, who sent 3 young, strong guys & they had it done in a short time & we felt the same as you do now.......it was so worth it!

some neighbors wouldn't/couldn't pay & did it themselves; we had a buddy system; one of us would always watch w/cell phone in hand whoever was up on their roof.

i must admit the whole thing was stressful & i hope that much snow never happens again while we're living here.....tho, i did keep the company's phone number "just in case"! Smiley Surprised)

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Honored Contributor

My brother is in Va. He said he got 33" of snow. He started shoveling snow & my dad told him to let it melt. With the health problems he has right now shoveling snow is the last thing he should be doing. Hope the temps warm up enough to get it melted sooner then later. I remember having snow way over my head when we lived in Newfoundland. He said we got over 300" one year. Stay Safe & Stay Warm.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

You got that right some people can't even dig their cars out because there is no place to put the snow.  Last night I saw some trucks drive through hauling away snow.  Thank god for snow blowers but I'm still sore from just digging my car out.  Slept good though!

You have to be careful though shoveling this amount of snow too.

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

Three entepreneurs just came by to see if I needed snow removal services.  I may be over-paying, but believe me, it's worth it.  Even with 3 strong guys, there's a big issue of where to put the snow!!!  I am so relieved, as I was just getting ready to go outside to see if I could at least put a little dent in things.  I'm so thankful right now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yay!!!   I know downtown it took over a month to remove the snow from side streets from our last storm.  And there's private businesses that have snow over 10' high in their parking lots.  Luckily I'm in the middle of a 2 acre lot and finding a place isn't a problem.  Some of our neighbors push their snow into our front ditch which isn't a problem.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

@3cupcakes wrote:

@Krimpette  glad you got shovel out!  you are so right; it's where to put the stuff!

for the first time in 40 years, last year we needed our roof shoveled & my husband is no longer comfortable going up the ladder even in good weather.

we paid a company, who sent 3 young, strong guys & they had it done in a short time & we felt the same as you do now.......it was so worth it!

some neighbors wouldn't/couldn't pay & did it themselves; we had a buddy system; one of us would always watch w/cell phone in hand whoever was up on their roof.

i must admit the whole thing was stressful & i hope that much snow never happens again while we're living here.....tho, i did keep the company's phone number "just in case"! Smiley Surprised)

We have what's called a roof rake.  Basically it is a rake that you can add segments to it until it's long enough to clear your roof.   And you can stand far enough away so you're not under it.  Ours has a tarp, which holds the snow down as well.  Picture is off the internet.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Valued Contributor

@debic  thanks so much.  we do have a roof rake, but can only use it for a partial on the front of the house.  it's a cape so the back of the house is two floors & there we can't use it at all.  it's just too high. 

here in new england last year, we just got slammed between non-stop snow storms, ice damns & very heavy weight on the roofs so i am feeling the pain of those who were affected by this last blizzard & wish everyone well digging out.

thanks again!

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Esteemed Contributor

@Krimpette, it made my day that you got your snow removal done without killing yourself! Now, my question about the "entrepreneurs" . . . Were they cute? Woman Wink

I hope @cotton4me checks in!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop