Honored Contributor

Re: When your friends get Altzheimers

@Gooday Whenever I have seen men who are widowed or divorced it always seems sadder than when women are the ones left behind. Women seem to be more capable of pulling their life back together than men. I've cared for a lot of widowed men  in my career and they had, literally, just ignored caring for themselves til they got to the point they ended up in ICU or attempted to commit suicide and wound up in ICU. It is very very sad.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

That is precisely why I do NOT live in a "senior" community

You think it's contagious?

Trusted Contributor

Dementia runs on both sides of my family so it is constanty at the back of my mind. It is horrific to lose ones independence and dignity. I hate this illness...

dee

Esteemed Contributor

Alzheimers is a terrible disease. It took a lot of my friends parents.

And I have a friend since childhood that is 15 yrs older than me. I notice her going downhill every time I talk to her. She cant remember things, tells me the same thing over and over, talks about something than starts talking about something else. Then other times shes fine. She calls me all the time for computer help and I tell her the same thing each time. She lives with her husband, and hes older yet than her and in better shape. Anyway it takes great patience to talk to her. But patience is what I do. I would never hurt her feelings by telling her what she is doing.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

Alzheimers is a terrible disease.  My mother started showing symptoms in her mid-80's.  My brother and I live close and took turns with dr. appt's, grocery shopping, etc.  It got to the point where we had a home care person come in 4 hours a day to make sure she took her meds, ate lunch, etc.  The care giver also did laundry and light cleaning.  Eventually, that wasn't enough anymore and we had to move mom into assisted living, a very nice private home with 10 bedrooms.  My brother and I looked at about a dozen places before we decided on this one.  Some of the places were horrible and depressing.  Mom lived to be 89, missing her 90th birthday by just 2 weeks.  One thing I'll always be grateful for is she never forgot who we were.  It's been 9 years and I miss her everyday. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mom lived with dementia for many years until her passing this past week at 94.  In the early stages mom would become frustrated because she was aware that she was having trouble remembering but as her dementia progressed she changed and became content as she was no longer aware that she wasn't remembering or was using the wrong words when communicating  She became peaceful and relaxed because she no longer had the worries or concerns of everyday life and didn't realize that we often did not know what she was trying to say or how to respond.

Dementia is not the same as Alzheimer disease and everyone reacts differently and in different time frames but based on my experience with mom and observing and interacting with too many dementia patients in mom's nursing home unit I have no doubt that it is much more difficult for "us" than the disease is on the one afflicted once the point of realization that something is "wrong" has passed.

One of the most striking things is that once mom reached the stage of not being aware of her disability she was much happier and often childlike.  Yes, she lived like that for a long time but one of the biggest blessings, IMO, was her not having any concept of time. She simply did not know she was different, nor that she had been for so long.

There is one more thing I'd like to say to those facing the possibility of putting your loved one in the care of a facility.  Although the decision was essentially taken out of my hands because I could no longer physically care for mom at home having her enter a care facility was the best thing that happened for both of us and I credit her nursing home caretakers for mom's last years being happy, comfortable and content.

I visited almost daily and the time we spent together was stress free and enjoyable.  Although she did not remember me as her daughter she was very aware that I was there to visit and spend time with her. Our relationship during the almost four years mom was in the nursing home was so much better than the last several years mom was at home which had me constantly stressed, tired, sleep deprived and irritable.

Having mom in the care of professionals was a blessing for both of us and I have no doubt I would have lost her sooner if it weren't for the loving care of the staff in mom's memory care unit.  They were truly invested in her well being.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

You started a thread in Wellness titled:

What it's like to live with someone in the early stages of dementia.

Dementia or any brain damage is not the same as Alzheimer's disease.

Honored Contributor

@Marp I am so very sorry. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

That is precisely why I do NOT live in a "senior" community

I know that there are various forms of Alzheimer's and other dementias and some do affect younger people,  67 is young these days.  I certainly wouldnt't be worrying or even thinking about Alzheimers if was in my 60's unless I medical reason to or a story family history of early Alzheimers.   It really is not as common as people believe.  And I'm totally with you when it comes to "senior" communities.  I think they are emotionally unhealthy because residents are in a "bottle neck" situation where all they see are old   or sick people who can't or choose not to live in the real world and that's all they see.  Regardless of how old I get, I will always want to live in multigenerational community.  I'll always want young people and children and active people around me.  I say "want" but I should probably say that I will "need" that.   

@chrystaltree  Alzheimer's is the 6th leading cause of death in the USA.

1 in 3 seniors die with Alzheimer's or another form of dementia.

Alzheimer's kills more people than breast cancer and prostate cancer combined.

Every 66 seconds somebody in the USA develops Alzheimer's.

More than 5 million people are living with Alzheimer's. 

And the number is growing.

SOURCE: The lastes facts and figures report for 2016 from the alz.org website

One person with Alzheimer's is one too many especially for that person and the caregiver(s). 

It isn't a matter of how common it is; it's a matter of the cost, the BILLIONS of unpaid hours for caregivers and most importantly a matter of the decline in life for those who have it.

And with the boomers aging the rates are climbing.

My heart goes out to all those who have a loved one with this and to all those who have lost someone.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Marp- my condolences to you on the loss of your mom.  I'm so sorry.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?