Honored Contributor

Re: When does Paying with Change/Pennies become Unacceptable?

@Yahooeywrote:

I was at a bank and wanted to cash a check $130.00. I asked for twenties. She said that doesn't go into 130 evenly. WHAT? She is in the industry - definitely no excuse. It wasn't like I asked 50% in tens and 50% twenties. lol

Funny thing is...y’all were probably ‘no excusing’ & “lol’g” each other.

She was probably thinking the same,

“WHAT?  Doesn’t this person know $130 doesn’t divide into $20 evenly?

No excuse for someone not knowing that! lol”

Esteemed Contributor

I pay cash for everything.  I will just throw all the change into a jar at home.  WIll occasionally dig for a couple pennies or a small amount, but not often.  I will roll the change and exchange for cash at the bank.  Little extra spending money.

What I ran into a few weeks ago is the opposite.  I was due back a couple dollars change at the gas station.  He gave me 2 of the dollar coins.  When I asked for bills, he said it was legal tender.. Guess it works both ways.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@sidsmomwrote:

@Yahooeywrote:

I was at a bank and wanted to cash a check $130.00. I asked for twenties. She said that doesn't go into 130 evenly. WHAT? She is in the industry - definitely no excuse. It wasn't like I asked 50% in tens and 50% twenties. lol

Funny thing is...y’all were probably ‘no excusing’ & “lol’g” each other.

She was probably thinking the same,

“WHAT?  Doesn’t this person know $130 doesn’t divide into $20 evenly?

No excuse for someone not knowing that! lol”

@Yahooey

There is a reason the teller said that to you. It is called a flim flam scam. Individuals will intentionally say something like that to get more money back. For instance they might say I want it all the 7 bills in twenties please. So instead of the teller counting the 130 they would just count 7 twenty dollars bills. This is done during conversation between customer and teller. There are many variables for  such a scam and if the bank is very at the time the teller might easily make a mistake. No excuse for a teller making a mistake, it is her job, but it is a reason why it was said.

Honored Contributor

I see millenials all the time at places like McDonalds paying for $1 coffee with a credit card. It blows me away. 

Honored Contributor

@151949wrote:

I see millenials all the time at places like McDonalds paying for $1 coffee with a credit card. It blows me away. 

My 28 year old niece pays for everything with her debit card. Drive thru Dunkin Donuts for her after work coffee, debit card. 

Honored Contributor

Of course, the cashier won't be happy if someone fiddles around in her purse (it's always women) for the exact change to pay $4.18 for something.  They can see those $1 bills in there..lol  But they to have wait while Grammy goes through every part of her bag looking for the exact change.  Meanwhile other customers who just want to pay and get on with their day stand there huffing and puffing.  Who would be happy about that?  However, change is legal tender and inconsiderate people do exist.   That's a completely different thing from someone looking for few cents....unless, of course it takes 10 minutes to find those 3 pennies.  I like the stores that have those penny jars at the cash register. 

Honored Contributor

@151949wrote:

Millennial Schmillennial.

I’m a 58yr old Baby Boomer...throw out the credit card for everything.

What is this word ‘change?’

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JBKO

If they gave me that "attitude" Id roll my eyes right back .....

They probably dont want to count pennies when their shift is up and they close out the register.........LAZY!!!  

Its funny because older cashiers actually ask if you have the change.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Nightowlzwrote:

@LTT1wrote:

They don’t teach counting change in school anymore.

i’m entirely Serious.

@LTT1

DH picked up BBQ one night & the cashier had already entered $30 cash while DH was digging for change. After he got out the change she said now I don't know how much to give back to you. Seriously??? DH told her how much he was due while she laughed & said good thing someone around here knows how to count.

I would be embarrassed.

@Nightowlz @LTT1

They dont know how to count change....what an education we have Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltreewrote:

Of course, the cashier won't be happy if someone fiddles around in her purse (it's always women) for the exact change to pay $4.18 for something.  They can see those $1 bills in there..lol  But they to have wait while Grammy goes through every part of her bag looking for the exact change.  Meanwhile other customers who just want to pay and get on with their day stand there huffing and puffing.  Who would be happy about that?  However, change is legal tender and inconsiderate people do exist.   That's a completely different thing from someone looking for few cents....unless, of course it takes 10 minutes to find those 3 pennies.  I like the stores that have those penny jars at the cash register. 

If those people huffing and puffing behind someone while they pay with CASH don't have the time - perhaps they shouldn't be stopping to shop.To quote a favorite old patient of mine "It takes as long as it takes." I do pay often with exact change , and it is NOT lying in the bottom of my purse - it is right where it belongs in my change purse. It takes much longer for a cc transaction to go thru the machine than for me to pay cash.