Trusted Contributor

When does Paying with Change/Pennies become Unacceptable?

If I'm buying a sundae at McDonald's for $1.38, of course I'll use up my 3 pennies. Heck, I'd pay the entire amount in change. However, I would never pay over $5 in change. I don't have a clear cut off, but it does become rude after a point. I know businesses cannot turn you away if you pay with an obscene amount of change, but don't be surprised if they don't have a happy look on their face.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

Re: When does Paying with Change/Pennies become Unacceptable?

They don’t teach counting change in school anymore.

i’m entirely Serious.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Super Contributor

Or maybe they are paying with change because that was all the money they had.  Cash is cash.  

Honored Contributor

There probably is not a cut-off because it is legal tender.   Would I want to be behind somebody paying their bill with $5-$10-whatever of pennies?  Probably not.  But I guess I wouldn't have a legitimate complaint because they CAN do that.

I think that if one is going to have a carpload of coin that they would, at least, roll it so the cashier doesn't have to be counting pennies on the counter.  But that's just a matter of manners.   Manners are so 20th century, so I guess it's not even an argument anymore.  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I don't pay with change.  It's a good way to save money.

Trusted Contributor

I like to say that coins are for machines. I like to save them for vending machines or purchasing metrocards/rail tickets.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

Nine pennies at a time is my limit.

Honored Contributor

"Pennies are money!" - Frank Barone

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LTT1wrote:

They don’t teach counting change in school anymore.

i’m entirely Serious.

@LTT1

DH picked up BBQ one night & the cashier had already entered $30 cash while DH was digging for change. After he got out the change she said now I don't know how much to give back to you. Seriously??? DH told her how much he was due while she laughed & said good thing someone around here knows how to count.

I would be embarrassed.

Honored Contributor

I ripped the change portion of my wallet out several years back due to how large and stretched out it had become.  Now every weekend I make it a rule to clean out my coin purse for as many purchases as possible.  Sometimes will pay for something with nothing but change in the several dollar area or at least pay with exact change.  $1.93 does not matter to me for finding to fork over and most cashier's are happy to get the change.  Money is money and they had better be glad to get the business.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."