Valued Contributor

Re: When do you usually go grocery shopping?

Now that I'm retired I have no set day or time.  However, I promised myself I would never shop between noon-2 p.m. or 5 pm.-7 p.m.  When I was working I used to be so annoyed with the old geezers that had to be out during lunch hour and after work.  Now that I'm that geezer I'm trying to be considerate of those still in the rat race!

Honored Contributor

Between 9-11am weekdays.  Not too crowded and plenty of experienced cashiers.

Honored Contributor

I hate grocery shopping, so my goal is to go early before most people get moving, Monday thru Thursday, between the hours of 8 - 10 a.m.   

I am going shopping early in the morning; this trip will fill the last holes in the pantry, and refrigerator freezer, and is planned to do us until at least mid January.   I do my best to stay out of stores during flu season.   

Honored Contributor

For the past month or so,  I've been using Walmart's shopping service and its worked out beautifully.   They have a list online of everything in the store and I choose what I want and how much.   I send in my list and pick a time for pick-up the next day,  then pay for them.   At the appointed time,  I go to the store,  park in the designated parking spaces,  call and tell them I've arrived and the bring out my groceries and put them in the car.   Off I go.   My only goof has been to order 4 pounds of bananas when I want 4 total. Ate lots of bananas that week. 

Since I also enter all my receipts into their savings catcher,  my groceries this week will almost be free. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

For me, it could be anywhere betweein 9pm and 3am...

Only on rare occasions I will grocery shop during the day anymore. I have just became weary of the long checkout lines, having to park a mile away, kids screaming and running around in the aisles, impatient folks behind me at the checkout when they see I have coupons, etc.

Last night I went to 3 stores to grocery shop...Target, Walmart and Hyvee.

It was so pleasant and peaceful...and I wasn't stressed out. I could park close to the stores, no screaming kids, the aisles were clear except for the restockers (a bonus to that is if an item is empty on a shelf you wanted, they can usually get it for you), and nobody breathing down my neck at the checkout.

There are a few stores I do shop at during the day since they are not open 24/7...Whole Foods, and a couple of neighborhood local grocers I get specific things...like much better cuts of meats and certain products that aren't available anywhere else locally...

How about you? Smiley Happy

@Susan Louise

I try to hold off until my husband has a day off and then we divide and conquer. If I go myself, I like to go in the morning on a weekday. 

I do the same as you Susan Louise.............if my husband goes we split the list (we do 2 weeks shopping) and go early mornings.......if i go alone...mornings only...no energy by afternoon!

Esteemed Contributor

I work through the week so I get up early on Saturday morning and go to Wal-Mart & Meijer.  I'm usually home by 1:00 and that includes grabbing a quick lunch.  I normally only go once a month and really stock up.  I do have to make a quick run to my local grocery store once a week or every other week to replenish some things and pick up an item that I forgot. 

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@kelsey17 wrote:

@butterfly123 wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

Only on rare occasions I will grocery shop during the day anymore. I have just became weary of the long checkout lines, having to park a mile away, kids screaming and running around in the aisles, impatient folks behind me at the checkout when they see I have coupons, etc.

It was so pleasant and peaceful...and I wasn't stressed out. I could park close to the stores, no screaming kids, the aisles were clear except for the restockers (a bonus to that is if an item is empty on a shelf you wanted, they can usually get it for you), and nobody breathing down my neck at the checkout.

There are a few stores I do shop at during the day since they are not open 24/7...Whole Foods, and a couple of neighborhood local grocers I get specific things...like much better cuts of meats and certain products that aren't available anywhere else locally...

@Susan Louise

I try to hold off until my husband has a day off and then we divide and conquer. If I go myself, I like to go in the morning on a weekday. 

I do the same as you Susan Louise.............if my husband goes we split the list (we do 2 weeks shopping) and go early mornings.......if i go alone...mornings only...no energy by afternoon!

Sorry i meant to post to you Butterfly 123

Respected Contributor

I don't really have a set time.  I usually go a few times a week - one big shopping trip and then several small trips.   Sometimes I'm there every day -  it just depends

Respected Contributor

I don't have a set day that I grocery shop.  Since I'm retired and a night owl, it would most likely be in the afternoon.  I have arthritis in my knees so getting through the whole grocery store is a challenge.  Sometimes I'll go to Walgreens if they have certain grocery items on sale - coffee, cereal, etc. and sometimes I'll go to Sprouts to get certain items. 

Honored Contributor

@kelsey17 wrote:

@butterfly123 wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@Susan Louise

@kelsey17  It's @butterfly123 you share the same grocery shopping routine with, not me  Smiley Happy